Keywords in one column to populate another

Copper Contributor
I have a file we’re in one column is have a description, I want to make a formula to look at that column for keywords which populates another column from a key.
48 Replies
Could you post a sample file please
Try with vert.search or something like this, I'm sorry but I use the italian version where we have cerca.vert. Lorenzo

@Wyn Hopkins 

Attached is my file.

Sorry, I ,meant an example of what you are trying to do

So a simple version with a brief description of what you are trying to do

Thanks

@Wyn Hopkins 

OK, in the attached you have in column C a description with the word sharpertek, I want a formula to search that column, find the keywords I choose and populate Column D for Vendor with in this case the company sharpertek.

you can easily done by this find function
press control + F to open dialogue box type your word it will automatically takes to vendor columns i am sending you a pic check it

@Khizar_Hayat 

I know that, but i have over 10000 rows, I am not going through all. I need a formula, or vlookup to do it for me.

so there is a solution, we can use IF function if the text contain "sharpertek" return as yes and if not so return as no but you have to add one more column and then by adding filter we can easily get that columns which contain "sharpertek" as yes. 

I don't think this is what they're looking for.

@Golfnhockey12: can you clarify a bit? Where do you enter your search parameters? It's not clear what you want from your description when looking at your sample file. Please be as detailed as possible when describing what you want to do from what you have.

@Khizar_Hayat 

Ok, and how do I write that function? I am trying to learn.

i am sending you a sample solution

@Golfnhockey12 

@Zack Barresse 

I have a column called Vendor which is Column D, some are blank some say Scientific Solutions. I want a formula, that looks at all the text in column C which is the description, and if it finds the word sharptec, then in column d it auto populates the Vendor Sharptec replacing the blank or Scientific Solutions

You're going to need a helper column to do this - which is a blank column adjacent to your data. You can put this in row 2 of your helper column and copy down until the end of your data:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sharpertek",C2)),"Sharpertek",IF(D2="","",D2))
Can I a formula that looks for many keywords and return different vendors at once or is it one at a time and compile a new excel file?

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sharpertek",C2)),"Sharpertek",IF(D2="","",D2))

@Zack Barresse

GREAT!

it works but simply at a negative part of that formula we can just write blank and any other word

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sharpertek",C2)),"Sharpertek",Blank)

great effort my friend

While I'm very much not a fan of scope creep, it's especially exacerbating in forum posts. I'm not necessarily blaming you, although the onus is upon you, it happens a lot. I recommend you fully and completely describe everything that you want to do. Everything. The whole thing, start to finish. Lay it on us. If you piece it in one at a time it generally makes it more difficult to help. Please be detailed, please be thorough, take your time.

So, what do we know now? It looks like you're wanting to do this for several items. Do you have a working version of this file you can attach here? On cursory thought, it's sounding like we might just use VBA here to make it simple. We may also be able to use Power Query, or even just stick with formulas. Difficult to know without knowing all the specifications and limitations of what you want. Help us help you. :)

@Khizar_Hayat thank you. The reason for the second nested IF is to not return a zero if the value in that cell is blank. 

ok i got your point 

@Zack Barresse 

Understood. If you look at my second post you see my full file attached. In that file I need to lol for keywords on Colunm C. Main ones are BVV, Sharptek, Across. With those words I need to populate Column D with vendors called BestValveVacs for BVV, Sharptek for Sharptek and Across for Across International.