Identifying matches or non-matches across three columns of data in Excel

Copper Contributor

I need to be able to basically do a three-way match in Excel, for three columns of data. Or identify where the data in one column does not match  anything in the other two columns. Each column represents a different source or database and I need to confirm where the data does not appear in all three sources (or where it does appear in all three sources). The three-way match by no means has to be in the same row (and very likely such would not be the case). I basically need to match the data in column 1 with the data in column 2 AND column 3, but regardless of what row the three-way match or non-match occurs (e.g., I would be looking to match cell A2 in column 1 against any cells in the range of column 2 and column 3, so long as there is a 3-way match somewhere, or a non-three way match).

One other specific: there could be a three-way match even if it is not exact (due to spelling difference or additional descriptive like "Inc." for a company name). The data being matched, I should add, is text.

I was going to try the Excel Fuzzy Lookup add-in but have been unsuccessful in installing it. I was wondering if there is some sort of formula I could use instead?

Thank you!

0 Replies