How to import an .XML table in Excel 2010 whilst ensuring cell references are maintained?

Copper Contributor

I have a spreadsheet where sheet 1 (e.g. A1:E10) is monthly data in the form of a table created from imported .XML data (and which allows Excel to determine the structure of the table); and sheet 2 which performs analysis on this data via formulae which reference explicitly the area of the data in sheet 1 (e.g. A1:E10).

(To import the .XML data I am selecting cell A1 in Sheet 1 and then using Excel 2010's Data ---> From other sources ---> From XML data import functionality to import the XML data as a table in Sheet 1. This creates an table object as you would expect with the table header row in row 1 and the data in rows 2 to 10. )

My problem is that when I import new monthly .XML data in the same manner all the row references to sheet 1 in the formulae (e.g. f(Sheet!A1)) in sheet 2 are shifted down so that they start after the newly imported sheet 1 data. E.g. they automatically update to be f(Sheet1!A11).

Is there any way I can tell Excel to maintain cell references in the sheet 2 formulae when new .XML data is imported in sheet 1?

Alternatively is there any way I can import the .XML data as a table in Excel using Excel's functionality to determine the structure of a table but at the same time to output the data in Excel as normal cell data and not as an .XML table object?

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Reply

In the properties of the external data connection, somewhere there's an option that tells Excel what to do with the newly imported data and what to do if less rows are imported. Experiment with those sttings.