Hide a column with merged cell across the column

Copper Contributor

hi, I am using Excel 2016.

I am trying to hide a column with merged cells: e.g.

Cell A2 & B2 & C2 have been merged, while I would like to hide column B. When I highlight by right clicking column B, the whole section Column A / B / C are all highlighted so I can't just hide column B.

This doesn't happen in older version. Any idea pls?

12 Replies

suionhk,

if I highlight column B as part of merged cells A2:C2 then only column B is hightlighted.

I'm using Excel 2016 (Office 365 subscription).

Do you highlight by left clicking or right? As my aim is to hide the column so I need a right click highlight and then click on Hide

suionhk,

yes, right klick works.

Hello,

I also have this problem.  I have a header that is merged across columns A, B, and C. When I right click column B and select 'Hide' from the menu it hides columns A, B, and C, not just column B. In previous versions of excel I was able to just hide column B. How do I accomplish this with Excel 2016?

Thank you.

Has anyone found a resolution to this?  It only happens using excel 2016 not previous versions.

Hi Russ,

Could you please give bit more details how you do that. In Excel 2016:

Initially

Hide01.JPG

When select entire column B, right click on it and Hide from menu:

Hide02.JPG

As general comment - better to avoid merged cells at all. Here you may select cells A1:C1 (unmerged), Ctrl+1, Alignment and Center Across Selection in Horizontal drop down list menu.

I think I figured out the issue for me at least.  It has to do with the EPM add-in.  When I am logged into BPC via the EPM add in I cannot hide an individual column that contains merged cells.  If I log off, then it works just like it did in excel 2013.  So this may be related to the service pack of the EPM add-in rather than excel itself.  Thanks for the reply.

Did we ever solve for this?  I am now having this issue after getting a new work computer and going from Excel 2013 to Excel 2016.  It is extremely frustrating! @suionhk 

@Carly Stroker 

You need to uninstall a Excel Add-in that comes with the Logitech mouse.  It worked for me

1. Select Programs > Programs and Features.
  2. Press and hold (or right-click) on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.

Look for logitech excel add-in

You need to uninstall a Excel Add-in that comes with the Logitech mouse.  It worked for me

Select Programs > Programs and Features.
Press and hold (or right-click) on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.

Select Programs > Programs and Features.
Press and hold (or right-click) on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.

@SGexcel thnx thats work for me too