Help Requested--What Function to Use?

Copper Contributor

Please tell me the simplest Function to achieve the following:

I'm creating a spreadsheet in which I'm trying to minimize the amount of user input.  In this case, a user enters his or name, and automatically a work address associated with this user name populates either 1) an adjacent cell (preference) OR 2) completes the cell entry containing the user name.

The work addresses associated with each user name will already be compiled in a separate table residing on another spreadsheet within the workbook.  There will be 12 to 15 names with their corresponding addresses, and will be frequently changing.  Therefore, long "IF" statements would be cumbersome and require periodic revision as names and addresses change.

Grateful for your input.

Chris@Sponsority

3 Replies
You want to use a LOOKUP function. I recommend the newest called XLOOKUP, which performs slightly better and has more versatility, but VLOOKUP (or HLOOKUP if organized in rows instead of columns) should work if you don't have a newer version of Excel

@mtarler 

Thank you so much.  Struggled a bit copying the formula in the destination cells.  Eventually realized I needed absolute cell references.  (Examples are single row illustrations and don't mention this aspect.)

So glad I had this problem.  More glad you helped.  I realize I've only scratched the surface of Excel.  Inspires me to learn more.  

Gratefully, Chris

you're welcome and glad I could help steer you in the right direction.