HELP! I can't save any Excel docs because of a "Sharing Violation" message. How do I fix?

Copper Contributor

This is a consistent and reoccurring problem. I had hoped upgrading to Office365 would help, but it didn't. I'm the Administrator. All Excel workbooks were created by me and I've used them for years. Some are .xls, but most are .xlsx. 

Thank you in advance. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Matt

1 Reply

Hi @matt11653 

Well, there are many different reasons responsible for cannot save Excel file because of sharing violation. Here check out some of the common ones:

• Excel file is not allowed to get indexed – The error appears when the Excel file is located inside the folder that is not permitted to let the inside files to get indexed.  And in this case, the error is resolved by modifying the particular folder Advanced Attributes settings
  • The Sharing Wizard is Turned Off – In Excel and other MS Office programs needs the Sharing Wizard option enabled to work appropriately.
  • The Third-party Antivirus controls the Excel file – It is found due to the third-party antivirus program installed on the users’ system causes the Excel sharing violation error. The antivirus program keeps the file busy when the Excel tries to write over it.

Despite this, the most common cause responsible for the sharing Excel files sharing violation error is when you frequently save the Excel workbook at the very short interval.