SOLVED

Formula in table doesn't calculate

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm running into, for me, new and unexpected behaviour in Excel online.

When creating a sum formula at the end of a row, excel doesn't calculate the sum but instead shows the formula with a dashed line around it. Pressing the enter key or F2 does not result in the required calculation. 

JanBalje_0-1671186465406.png

I did check that "show formula's" is turned off. That function toggles other formula's in the sheet as expected.

I understand the notation with the @-sign, I don't think that has a relation with the problem.

Any ideas how I can get excel to perform the calculation?

Cheers,

JB

5 Replies

@Jan Balje 

Try

=Table1[@verlofopbouw]+Table1[@meeruren]+Table1[@verlofopname]

Thx for replying.
I created the formula by clicking on the cells. So Excel generated the notation with the semicolons (;).
When I remove the semicolons and give <enter>, Excel re-inserts the semi-colons and returns to the state as depicted in the original post.

Edit: it appears to be a problem with Excel online, because on Excel desktop app I cannot reproduce the problem. Unfortunately, security measures don't allow me to download the original excel file to my desktop.

best response confirmed by Jan Balje (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jan Balje 

That's weird. When I create such a formula in the Dutch version of Excel Online, it also inserts a semicolon - see 1.

But when I remove the semicolon, the formula works as intended - see 2.

S2047.png

@Jan Balje By the way, it works correctly if I refer to the entire column:

=Table1[verlofopbouw]+Table1[meeruren]+Table1[verlofopname]

This formula will spill to the number of rows of Table1.

I failed to get this working in the table, I kept getting #SPILL errors. I'm probably missing something.
In the end I just converted the table to a range and I could do what I want in no time at all.
It's Friday afternoon, after all.
Thx for the help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jan Balje (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jan Balje 

That's weird. When I create such a formula in the Dutch version of Excel Online, it also inserts a semicolon - see 1.

But when I remove the semicolon, the formula works as intended - see 2.

S2047.png

View solution in original post