Fill Down

Copper Contributor

New to excel online.  Trying to use old fashion "fill down" to populate formulas.  

I can't find that in menus.

All I see is flash fill.

Am I missing something?

3 Replies

@Frank_OstiniHP2frank 

In Excel Online, the "Fill Down" feature is available, but it might be named differently. Here's how you can use the equivalent feature:

1. Select the cell containing the formula you want to fill down.
  2. Look for the small square at the bottom right corner of the selected cell. This is called the fill handle.
  3. Click and drag the fill handle down to fill the formula into the desired range.

Alternatively, if you only want to fill down without dragging, follow these steps:

1. Select the cell containing the formula.
  2. Hover your cursor over the small square at the bottom right corner (fill handle) until it turns into a black crosshair.
  3. Double-click on the fill handle. This action automatically fills the formula down to the end of the adjacent data in the column.

If you're unable to find the fill handle or if it's not working as expected, make sure that the cells you're trying to fill down do not have any data validation rules or restrictions that might be preventing the fill operation. AI was partially deployed to support the text.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE 

So easy and so well explained. Thanks. 

Many thanks indeed - your explanation did the trick for me, working fine for formulas and numerical data. However, everyone please be aware that dates and times behave differently with Fill-Down. Days and hours will increment by 1 for each row that's filled down. It's the same with the desk-top version of Excel.