Excel Seems to delete formulas when saving files

Copper Contributor

When I save an Excel file As a Macro- Enabled File, some of my formulas are deleted and saved as a value or a number.  This is causing concerns as my data files do not get updated.   Has anyone else had this issue?

2 Replies

@Warren1215 I'm having similar issue where Excel, out of nowhere, just decided to delete ALL my template formulars and keep only the cell values. This has now happened twice on my system - a 1TB SSD 8GB RAM Surface Pro 2 running Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2208 Build 16.0.15601.20148) 64-bit - and I have no idea what triggers it, nor am I able to undo the infuriating changes in Excel whenever they randomly occur.

Only way I've been fortunate to recover my loads of template formulars is by restoring to an earlier version of the file and repeating some of the work I've done before until the next time it decides do the same productivity hampering move again.

Any luck on your end figuring it out?

I have no idea why this happens, but it seems like there was a conflict going on between Excel and my clipboard manager; ShapeShifter (the best there is on Windows). I didn't even save the Excel spreadsheet before it triggered the issue, all I did was select and copy (Ctrl + C) a set of Excel cells (containing formulars) on one sheet, then I checked other formulars in the same sheet just to see that their formulars had been replaced with their current values. I closed the Excel document (without saving), re-opened it and re-attempted the copying again, and the same issue arose.

I attempted troubleshooting by closing ShapeShifter and the Excel document (again without saving), reattempted copying the same cells and this time, the issue didn't occur. Re-launched ShapeShifter, reattempted copying the same cells, and the issue occurred again. So, it's definitely a conflict between ShapeShifter and Excel...why, I have no idea.