SOLVED

Excel 365 - View side-by-side

Copper Contributor

I am unable to find View side-by-side on my toolbar.  My understanding is that it should be next to Split on the View tab.  However on my toolbar the icon next to Split is Switch windows and I am unable to find View side-by-side (and synchronous scrolling) anywhere.

Please could someone advise me? I am assuming the option is still available.  I am using a Mac.  Thanks in advance.  

6 Replies

@LorraineLorraine2110 You can arrange windows, but you can't view side-by-side on Excel for the Mac. At least, I haven't been able to locate it.

See if this is it. If you search for "tile or cascade windows in Excel for Mac" in the Help search, you'll get the little graphics also, and it will be even more clear.

View multiple panes, sheets, or workbooks
In Excel for Mac, you can split a sheet into panes or use windows to view multiple sheets or multiple workbooks.
Split a sheet into panes
You can view two areas of a sheet by splitting it into pane. When you split a sheet into separate panes, you can scroll in both panes independently.
1. Select below the row where you want the split, or the column to the right of where you want the split.
2. On the View tab, in the Window group, click Split.
a. To remove the split panes, click Split again.

View multiple sheets in one workbook
1. Open the workbook that you want to view.
2. On the Window menu, click New Window.
3. Switch to the new window, and then click the tab for the sheet that you want to view.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each sheet that you want to view.
4. On the Window menu, click Arrange.
5. Do one of the following:
To arrange windows So that they appear like this Click
As equally sized, tiled squares
Tiled
Horizontally from top to bottom
Horizontal
Vertically from right to left
Vertical
In an overlapping cascade from top to bottom
Cascade
6. Select the Windows of active workbook check box.

View multiple workbooks
1. Open all the workbooks that you want to view.
2. On the Window menu, click Arrange.
3. Do one of the following:
To arrange windows So that they appear like this Click
As equally sized, tiled squares
Tiled
Horizontally from top to bottom
Horizontal
Vertically from right to left
Vertical
In an overlapping cascade from top to bottom
Cascade
Tip: To restore a workbook window to full size, select the workbook, and then on the Window menu, click Zoom.

Chris
wigglemylegs

@wigglemylegs Don't believe this is "Side-by-side" view like on Excel for Windows though. Not really my problem.

Thanks Riny. That’s what I think too.
Thanks Chris. Am thinking that view side-by-side doesn’t exist on mac. I wanted it for multiple workbooks. Arrange windows sounds good. Will take a look at that. Many thanks.
best response confirmed by LorraineLorraine2110 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LorraineLorraine2110 

It is definitely working on the Mac.  Mac up to 2019 does not have synchronous scrolling however.  Here below are the screen grabs for different window layouts where previously I had only posted the text.

ExcelForMacPost_SplitASheetIntoPanes_Screenshot 2022-04-10 105258.JPG

ExcelForMacPost_ViewMultipleSheetsInOneWorkbook_Screenshot 2022-04-10 105526.JPG

ExcelForMacPost_ViewMultipleWorkbooks_Screenshot 2022-04-10 105642.JPG

Works on Mac here.  So there you have it.  Also, here below is a video showing how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQlJvq1cr5s

Great computing to you.

http://excelitch.com/view-two-worksheets-side-by-side/?utm_source=YouTube%20VideoV006&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=YouTube%20Description The ability to open two Worksheets side-by-side is one of the most useful, and commonly asked about, features in Excel. In this video, I quickly show you how ...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LorraineLorraine2110 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LorraineLorraine2110 

It is definitely working on the Mac.  Mac up to 2019 does not have synchronous scrolling however.  Here below are the screen grabs for different window layouts where previously I had only posted the text.

ExcelForMacPost_SplitASheetIntoPanes_Screenshot 2022-04-10 105258.JPG

ExcelForMacPost_ViewMultipleSheetsInOneWorkbook_Screenshot 2022-04-10 105526.JPG

ExcelForMacPost_ViewMultipleWorkbooks_Screenshot 2022-04-10 105642.JPG

Works on Mac here.  So there you have it.  Also, here below is a video showing how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQlJvq1cr5s

Great computing to you.

View solution in original post

http://excelitch.com/view-two-worksheets-side-by-side/?utm_source=YouTube%20VideoV006&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=YouTube%20Description The ability to open two Worksheets side-by-side is one of the most useful, and commonly asked about, features in Excel. In this video, I quickly show you how ...