SOLVED

Employee Current Age or Age at DOD

Copper Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a formula that will show an employee's Current Age (as of TODAY) OR if there is a Date of Death present, what the Age was when they deceased?

I seem to only know how to calculate one or the other (like: Current age or DOD age), but I need the formula to figure out that if there is not a DOD to continue to calculate the age of the employee for the current date.

10 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Debbie_Faye Perhaps like this:

Riny_van_Eekelen_1-1644907732924.png

It calculated age on today's date if DOD is blank, otherwise it calculates the age at death. Ages are presented in one decimal, but you can round at as you wish.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

OMG! It works! You're a life saver! Thank you so much! :0)

@Debbie_Faye Of course it works :))) Most welcome. Glad I could help!

I am not shocked it works, but just coming in to say thanks. Just what I needed for something else. Cheers!
Riny, Do you have any suggestions for how to present the Age as Years and Months? I'm dealing with data that has infants in it. So it's DOB referencing a session date to get Age at the session. 1.8 When the point 8 represents 80% isn't so clear.
Without using DATEDIF, unfortunately. Still on Office 2019 on desktop.

@davidmaddock54 

Just use it. You can use it. 

@davidmaddock54 

@Riny_van_Eekelen solution does not suit your needs unless you have the definition about "the month difference", e.g. assume each month 30 days.  Otherwise, Riny's solution cannot suit your needs to turn the overall day difference to "the number of years and month difference".

If I am wrong, please correct me.  I am also learning too.

I had Riny's solution get me totals that were close enough. Once I had the difference as a number of days, I divided by 30.5 to give me a ballpark Month count. But that wouldn't help with years, I think I'd be doing some sort of calculation to work out How many years in X days, then working out how to calculate the remainder into Months, then getting it to format correctly. When you're just dealing with older ages it would have been great, and I'll use it again, but when I'm trying to humanise the data into plain English and account for folks talking about ages in Months and then at some random point between 1-3 going to Years and Months, it's tricky.

Thank god Datedif works. No syntax help, but it does work.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Debbie_Faye Perhaps like this:

Riny_van_Eekelen_1-1644907732924.png

It calculated age on today's date if DOD is blank, otherwise it calculates the age at death. Ages are presented in one decimal, but you can round at as you wish.

View solution in original post