Creating a task tracker with a summary/overview page

Copper Contributor

I am looking to create a task tracker with an overview page, which I'll explain in a bit more detail, as I am looking for the best way to approach this, and I am still learning the ins and outs of Excel.

I have 4 groups (leads) that will be attributed tasks, which will each be in their own worksheet with at least the following columns: Start Date, Task, Due Date and End Date. What I would like is for the data of all those columns to be put together, in chronological order, in the overview page with the corresponding group/lead.

How would I approach this? Should I work from the overview page with a drop-down list that auto-fills the corresponding group/lead's worksheet, or have each group/lead worksheet fill in the overview page?

I have a lot more that I'd like to build into this tracker, but once I get this part figured out, it'll be a lot simpler to add on to it.

Hope this is clear enough, first time looking into this! Thanks.

3 Replies

@Jessika_ 

You're tackling an awful lot for one who is "still learning the ins and outs of Excel."

It would help if you could create a mock-up (in Excel or Word) of what the different group pages might look like (one or two) and then what you want the summary to look like. With regard to the latter, you mentioned chronological order, but had named two different categories of dates and they wouldn't necessarily put any given project into the same order (i.e., start date and due date sorts could be quite different).

My gut tells me that it would make more sense to have the four team sheets be the basic sheets, with the summary drawing from them.

Some other questions: how frequently do you expect updates (daily, monthly, quarterly); how detailed?

As an aside, Microsoft does have templates for lots of applications. I frankly have always been a person who prefers to create my own, but templates can be a way to start. https://templates.office.com/en-us/

Hello @mathetes,

I have between 10-25 jobs that I am job costing for each month. Is there a simpler way to achieve a summary page if I need to show Revenue - Expenses = Net Income for each tab than manually referencing each cell.

Also, is there a better way to duplicate the file for the next month than opening the spreadsheet and "Save As" the next month. I have to go through and delete all the old info if I do it this way.

Any help would be excellent. Sorry to hijack this post, but I am hoping this will help @Jessika_ as well.

@joeyharris 

It would really be better if you were to start an all new thread here, taking your question to the full community. AND it would be good if you already have a working spreadsheet / workbook, if you were to attach a copy of that (so long as there's no confidential or proprietary info in it)). So let me invite you to do both of those.