Copy value above a blank cell to the blank cell and replace a character in the copied value? In a co

Copper Contributor
I want to fill all blank cells in a column with the previous filled cell above it. Then find and replace one character in the copied value. Possible?
Newbie.
3 Replies

Hi Mark,

This is possible, to do it:

• Select the targeted column
  • Press Ctrl+G and then select Special button to open the Go To Special dialog box
  • While you in the Go To Special dialog box, select Blanks and then hit OK.

Now you have all the blank cells selected, keep them selected and then go to the formula bar and type the cell address exists before the active cell.

For example, If the active cell of the selected blank cells is A4, then type =A3 and then hit Ctrl+Enter.

After that, you can find and replace what you want.

Hi Mark Wallen, 

After you fill the blanks with the formula (as suggested by Haytham Amairah), you may need to replace the formulas with values, because you need to replace one character in the copied (pasted) value.

Do you want to replace one character in the formula or in the result of the formula?

Kindly elaborate and give an example for better clarity. You may also attach a sample file with test data. Your original data is not required in the sample file. You may enter data similar to what you have.

Vijaykumar Shetye,

Panaji, Goa, India

Hi @Haytham Amairah , I'm wondering if there is a similar process to do the reverse, but only to the first blank cell above the active cell e.g. in a column where there are both multiple and single blank cells above cells with data, how can I copy the data into just the first blank cell above it? Thanks!