SOLVED

Balanced Scorecard Sliding Scale formula problem

Copper Contributor

I developed a balanced scorecard for my company. I have the formula almost working but its not 100%

Context -

If at Last year amount, value given should be 50% of total weight

If at Plan, it should be 75% of the weight.

If at Stretch, it should reflect 100% of the weighted points.

My current formula. (This one has a weight of 35 allowable points)

I29 is Year to date. H29 is the stretch. G29 is the Plan. F29 is last year

=IF(I29>=H29,35,IF(I29>=G29,35*0.75, IF(I29>=F29,35*0.5)))

Problem, it works perfectly if I reach the exact target amount. example:

$100 is last year (should be valued at 17.5 of 35 points)

$200 is Plan (should be valued at 26.25 of 35 points)

$300 is Stretch (should be 35 of 35 points)

If I enter $299 in the YTD cell, it spits out 26.25. It does steadily gain value. Really, is should be almost 34 of 35 points.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Will_Sarty01 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

your formula only has three levels and you hard code 35*0.75. There is nothing sliding here.

What calculation do you apply to arrive at "almost 35" for 299? Can you explain the logic in words?

It looks like you want to base the calculation on the ytd value as a percentage of the last year or plan value. So you may want to use

=IF(ytd>=stretch,35,IF(ytd>=plan,((35-((35/ytd)*plan))+35)*0.75, IF(ytd>=last_year,((35-((35/ytd)*last_year))+35)*0.5)))

Let me know if that helps.

OMG! Thank you so much! this worked perfectly.

I ran into one snag. The formula works perfectly for items that are increasing but not decreasing

Example:

Profit Margin

Last year $100       Plan $200      Stretch $300 = formula works

Safety Accidents

Last year 200        Plan 150         Stretch 100 = formula doesn't work

Still looking for assistance on this formula. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, what result would you expect for decreasing values? Can you explain the logic in words?

The final value should be the same. If I reach the Stretch, I get 100% of the allotted points, if I reach Goal, I get 75% of the allotted points, and if I het Last Year, I get 50% of the allotted points.

So, If we look at Profit Margin where an increase is what you want, your formula works as seen below:

=IF(ytd>=stretch,35,IF(ytd>=plan,((35-((35/ytd)*plan))+35)*0.75, IF(ytd>=last_year,((35-((35/ytd)*last_year))+35)*0.5)))

However, for Safety Accidents, Less is better and doesn't seem to calculate properly. Im thinking it is a BEDMAS issue maybe?

Safety Accidents (Lets us 35 as the allotted points for example)

Last year 200 accidents. In the formula, this should reflect 35 out of 35 points

Plan 150 accidents. In the formula, this should reflect 26.25 points

Stretch 100 accidents. In the formula, this should reflect 17.5 points

Hope all is well Ingeborg. I thank you for your help thus far. Do you have any questions regarding my last explanation?

Thanks again!

Can anyone assist with the above problem? I hope I was able to explain it properly.

I have a balanced scorecard which I made and is almost perfect.

The following criteria are crucial:

Last Year - This is 50% of the allotted points

Plan - This is 75% of the allotted points

Stretch - This is 100% of the allotted points

So, If we look at Profit Margin, and the allotted point value is 35 where an increase is what you want, my formula which Ingeborg Hawighorst made for me works as seen below:

However, for Safety Accidents, Less is better and doesn't seem to calculate properly. Im thinking it is a BEDMAS issue maybe?

Safety Accidents Data

Last year 200        Plan 150         Stretch 100

Safety Accidents (Lets us 35 as the allotted points for example)

Last year 200 accidents. In the formula, this should reflect 17.5 out of 35 points

Plan 150 accidents. In the formula, this should reflect 26.25 points

Stretch 100 accidents. In the formula, this should reflect 35 points

The formula above seen in the Profit Margin does not work if the values are decreasing. It may be an order of operations error because the values are decreasing not increasing.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Will_Sarty01 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

your formula only has three levels and you hard code 35*0.75. There is nothing sliding here.

What calculation do you apply to arrive at "almost 35" for 299? Can you explain the logic in words?

It looks like you want to base the calculation on the ytd value as a percentage of the last year or plan value. So you may want to use

Let me know if that helps.

View solution in original post