SOLVED

Edge Dev won't load any pages

Copper Contributor

I've been using Edge Dev as my daily driver for almost 3 months. I've returned from holidays and now nothing will load (I'm using GChrome to type this up!).

Any URL or PDF file just gives a "This page is having a problem, try coming back to it later" (even the edge:// pages)

I've uninstalled the version, deleted the User Data folder and re-installed the latest version but still no joy.

I spoke with Gabriel P, and, because it's a domain joined machine with Symantec Endpoint Protection he referred me here.

How can I help you out here? Developer, so comfortable taking memory dumps etc.

4 Replies
The beta channel install works, just not the dev one. Using this instead as some Edge is better than no Edge ;) It'd be nice to know a reason for it though
best response confirmed by Derek Noonan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Derek Noonan, there was another thread with people discussing a very similar issue.  It appears that it might have something to do with the Symantec Endpoint Protection plug-in that you are using.  You can read how the other Insiders are dealing with this here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/This-page-is-having-problems/m-p/816671

Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk Many thanks for your response. I will try the approaches outlined in the linked post tomorrow and leave another reply.

@Derek Noonan  @Elliot Kirk 

Alright so the --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity switch works. Two questions out of this:

1. What changed within Edge that caused this negative interaction with SEP, and will it be tracked and fixed for release?

2. How do you know what switches are pertinent to a given issue? I found the full list of Chrome switches but maddeningly permitted options for (kDisableFeatures | kEnableFeatures) are not easy to find. In base_switches.cc it just says that they're a comma-separated list of feature names to enable or disable

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Derek Noonan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Derek Noonan, there was another thread with people discussing a very similar issue.  It appears that it might have something to do with the Symantec Endpoint Protection plug-in that you are using.  You can read how the other Insiders are dealing with this here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/This-page-is-having-problems/m-p/816671

Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post