SOLVED

Adobe Reader integration

Iron Contributor

Hi team

How can we enable the Adobe Reader as the default PDF handler in Edge or disable the internal PDF viewer? We appreciate your efforts regards PDF handling, but Adobe Reader is still required in our enterprise to view PDF in browser.

Kind regards,

Stephan

42 Replies
Yes, thank you very much! That works for us.

Would there be any way to enforce "Always open in system viewer" for all users for pdf files, preferably via GPO? To be clear, I mean the option users can select after downloading the file and right-clicking on the downloaded file in the Edge Download Bar.

@smokie128 

That isn't possible right now but will be coming with Edge v85.

I've had a case open with MS for a while and like 2 weeks ago they confirmed it. The policy reference has already been updated accordingly too: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#autoopenfiletypes

What features are required for enterprise which are missing in Microsoft Edge PDF reader?
I am just curious about those features, may be these could be good feedback for Microsoft Edge team.
I personally, prefer avoid installing multiple apps and only use Microsoft Edge for web and PDF.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived speed, compatibility, the ability to edit/manage PDF files, the list is extensive.  What you're asking is like asking why not use OpenOffice to edit/view Microsoft Word/Excel files.  OpenOffice does a reasonable job at managing Microsoft Office files, but it's NOT Microsoft Office.  Why would anyone want to be limited to Microsoft's vision of what a PDF file, a format created and managed by Adobe, should look like or how it should be managed when a far superior product exists, and is free for those who only want to view?  For those of us who need to edit and do other things with PDF files Edge will NEVER provide the functionality of Acrobat.  Many enterprises create/edit PDF files on a regular basis.  Edge is great for families in their house, but business users who publish and manage PDF files or companies need more than the toy that is Edge.

Where is this setting? Nothing I seem to do in 083 seems to automatically download PDFs, Edge still just opens them.

Thank you @Terabyte for sharing and I understand your point.

Since you shared here and probably send this feature request through feedback option , Microsoft Edge team will look into it.

However, it is depends on  the use case and scenario, so for example I am aware of companies who are just using Word to edit documents and once it has been finalized convert to PDF and use PDF for read-only mode and let say if we install Adobe reader, it is another program we have to manage, deploy update, worry about vulnerabilities and so on. In case, Microsoft Edge could fulfill all of their tasks, we only focus on manage and update Microsoft Edge. 

However, for more advance scenario people might use Adobe Pro to edit, create and modify PDF documents. 

@vygadeka dear, we have the same problem.

How exactly do we enable opening pdf's at once in acrobat? 

Is this a server setting?

tnx

@lasureal 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"AlwaysOpenPdfExternally"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\AutoOpenFileTypes]
"1"="pdf"

With that PDF files will automatically be opened in the system PDF viewer with no download prompt. PDF files will however still get auto-downloaded to the user's (configured) "Downloads" folder.

Beware: There is currently a bug in v86 that did not exist in v85. If you have the "PromptForDownloadLocation" policy set then the "AutoOpenFileTypes" policy does not work. Disable the "PromptForDownloadLocation" or wait for Microsoft to fix the issue in an upcoming update. I've already opened a call with them about the issue.

@narutards  I'm on Version 86 and I see no such registry entries.

@SilverTiger69 Of course not .......... you have to create them.

And the bug I mentioned has been fixed by Microsoft in the meantime, in 86....63

@narutards Wow!  I won't even ask where you got this info.  I'll give it a shot.

@narutards wrote:

With that PDF files will automatically be opened in the system PDF viewer with no download prompt. PDF files will however still get auto-downloaded to the user's (configured) "Downloads" folder.

I'd love for Edge to download these to temp and delete them after. We deal with a Helpdesk transcribing PDF forms from all over the org to tickets, so we're dealing with a large amount of forms that are opened in Edge, but not modified and thus can be discarded after use.

@narutards this hack works for me.  I still get a little prompt at the bottom to open or save, but open uses Adobe Reader.  Very cool and thank you.

@SilverTiger69 That isn't really a hack. It is the intended way making use of the official policies provided by Microsoft.

And if you are still seeing the download bar then you either didn't add the second registry key correctly or are running a version of Edge prior to 86.0.622.63.

@narutards  Very possible.  I've attached how I set it up. I'm on 87.0.664.41.

@SilverTiger69 As I suspected, you did it wrong. "AutoOpenFileTypes" needs to be a subfolder. And then you add a new REGSZ entry called "1" with the value "pdf".

Or just save the whole thing I posted earlier as a .reg file and import it that way.

Or maybe don't mess around in your registry if you don't know what you are doing.

@narutards Ah, I see it now.  Give me a break.  I'm 74 years old.

@SpeedyThesSnail 

Can you please tell me what exactly you did to fix this?

thx.

@narutardsI must be doing something wrong as I still get the "Open/Save" prompt, slightly annoying but can definitely used Adobe's browser which is great. I also notice the pdf isn't downloaded to my system downloads folder as you mentioned ? Again not a major problem but I get the feeling I've done something silly !
Can you see anything wrong with my updated registry details :-
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"AlwaysOpenPdfExternally"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\AutoOpenFileTypes]
"1"="pdf"

My version of Edge : 

Version 91.0.864.41 (Official build) (64-bit)

@Canarytops 

Sorrry, but I became weary of this and went back to Firefox which makes it much easier and more sensible.  No longer using Edge, so I haven't tried anything.  You did what I did.