Windows 10 &11 Intel Iris Xe and Microsoft apps conflicts and poor performance

Copper Contributor

I wrote this as a reply to a user in another post, but I believe this is an issue by itself as I haven't found information on this to date.

I have an Acer Aspire A515-56 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz) with 20 GB RAM.

I've had small issues with every Intel Iris Xe driver 27.20 version up to its latest 27.20.100.9466 version (mainly random Autocad crashes, but nothing really serious)

BUT newest versions of the driver, 30.0.100.xxx, including the latest 30.0.101.1069, simply don't work with Microsoft programs at all. Everything else works ok, including Windows UI, Firefox, AutoCAD,  and even WSLg Linux apps, BUT both Edge and Microsoft 365 v2019 (namely Outlook, Word and Excel) become extremely laggy, to the point of being unusable. Experimenting with Office apps "Disable hardware acceleration" solves the issue in Edge, Outlook and Excel, but as my Word version does not have that option available for some unknow reason, it can't be fixed.

As said, all other programs, including games, work just well with either driver. This just confirms the issue is a conclict between Iris Xe driver and the way Microsoft implemented hardware acceleration in Edge and Office apps.

Reverting back to driver v27.20.100.9466 solves all the aforementioned issues.

3 Replies

@Villaseca 

Thanks for confirming this.

I'd observed graphics lag for some months (Excel screen lag especially) and hadn't figured out the right driver version to install.

My i7-1165G7 +16GB laptop is usually running its inbuilt panel, 2 external 2K screens via thunderbolt and one more external 2K screen via a displaylink for a total of 4 (not to mention the citrix display driver hidden in the devices that I wish I didn't need).

I'd figured out that it was graphics or thunderbolt/USB related, and only recently narrowed it to the XE driver in particular, which had me hunting with better search terms that got me here to your post.

I was losing count of the combinations of uninstalling/reinstalling citrix, displaylink, thunderbolt, intel drivers that I had tried, and the issue kept reappearing as the intel driver I installed was newer than the version you mentioned here.

It seems I can now finally get some work done without the unbelievable graphics lag!

Glad it helped. Tell us how it went for you. Regards.

@Villaseca 

Confirming. Still an issue in 2023.