Suggestion: Open file and save as option before downloading in the same Google Chrome downloads UI

Silver Contributor

There is no option to open a file and installer directly when we download files in Microsoft Edge and we have to save the file in order to open the file which is sometimes timeconsuming. So, I am suggesting a feature where there will be the same Chromium downloads UI and there will be the option to open and save the file before downloading and the option to cancel the download will always be there in the ellipsis(three-dotted) menu.

The blue line shows where the options would be before downloading the files.The blue line shows where the options would be before downloading the files.

If you like this feature and want it to come to Microsoft Edge, then you can also send feedback through the in-built feedback feature(Alt+Shift+I) in Microsoft Edge which will give this suggestion a +1.

4 Replies

@TheShaunSaw 

Are you saying that there should be an option to open a file without actually downloading it? If that's what you are saying then it would be a nice feature but I don't think that it's possible.

@Ekansh0202 

No, my suggestion is not about to open a file without actually downloading it.

As you see, when we download files from Edge, a save as dialog box appears and when we click save, it starts downloading but, when we go to Edge Legacy and Internet Explorer, there used to be an option to run an installer or open a file without saving it meaning the file gets downloaded and it gets opened but as soon as we close it, it gets deleted automatically.

Download UI in IE where there is an option to run the file and delete it automatically when it closes or to save the file.Download UI in IE where there is an option to run the file and delete it automatically when it closes or to save the file.

So, my suggestion is that Microsoft Edge should use the default chromium downloads UI which can show multiple downloads in the lower bar but also show the run/open option with the save as option as shown in the picture in the main post before the downloading of the file starts.

@TheShaunSaw 

Ya, that can be done and would be a nice feature.