Option to completely remove Microsoft News Feed

Steel Contributor

I understand there may be reason higher up the corporate ladder for wanting the inclusion of the Microsoft News Feed permanently in one way or another but please add an option to completely remove the bar at the bottom of the new tab page. It's ugly and obtrusive and ultimately kind of ruins the idea of the 'Inspirational' or 'Focused' layout being what they are describing. The News Feed is the Number one reason for the people I know refusing the switch to Old Edge. It will cripple the initial adoption of New Edge when it eventually released to market. Untitled.png

54 Replies

Works Great.

@KoshyG 

Except it is a Controlled Feature Roll-out.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Doesn't matter. the feature is added by Microsoft (as the OP requested) and done anyway.
it was added more than 3 weeks ago, chances are everybody will have it very soon, if not already.

@Cameron_Bush this feature is now directly under the task bar widget within the beta version of Windows, and though you can turn the widget off, if you go to website and look at your feed, there is not an option to tell microsoft not to suggest or offer stories / articles, however you can hide publishers. Though you have the option to add your own publishers you are interested in from here: Microsoft News (msn.com) - You are still bombarded with what ever the algorithms used by Microsoft think is "For you" .

Honestly, the weather and need to know like local school closing, road closures and things like that are all I want. Unfortunately, I did not see my local govdelivery sites listed and I am not interested in mainstream national and world publishers, but I do not have a choice. Cool software and gadgets, and looks like they work, but the content is garbage and not really relavent "For me"

Looks like this is a good place for this topic and though there is a way to disable where your newsfeed appears, it still has a persona and builds a feed if ever you open anything that uses that Microsoft News Feed API. Only gives the illusion it is gone, sorry.

@alignedfibers I know. This was fixed ages ago. This is a 2 year old post from Edge Beta...

I wish I could just turn the "new tab page" off entirely, and just have a blank page load... I only go to the new tab page currently to see my Favourites Bar (as I prefer not to use "Always shown") and it's a pain having to wait for it to load just to access a favourite. It's mad Internet Explorer let users pick what the new tab button would go to, but Edge doesn't...

you can always Install a linux platform to get rid of microsoft news feed @Cameron_Bush 

Yes Sadly this a Big Joke if I may say so. You can look on your profile under "Hidden Sources" just to tell you "You have not Block any sources"?! But NO where on any feed tap there is a option to BLOCK anything ( My reason for stating that this is a JOKE) The news feeds for me is a BIG NO. It slow down my computer to a slack while loading. Without me asking for it. It will be nice to see what is going on in the world when and if I want to know. But this Microsoft feature does no care about anyone's preferences or Human rights, no no. It will just slow down your system, work and Life just to force you that look at a lot of Unimportant news. And don't bother trying to set some interest it will just show you everything anyway :(
Microsoft only cares about money and not about their customers. They have a take it or leave policy.
Hi,
I've just found a way to remove that Microsoft News Feed display.
On the page layout select Custom & then click on the side arrow, it will give you options for the Background & Content, and then select content off.
I hope this helps.
Charlene.
In case someone needs it - for windows 10, update to edge with chromium, then uninstall it, then prevent it from re-installing. I suggest installing firefox first.

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\"

get version number

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\xx\installer (use the version number you found in place of xx

setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall

to prevent updates or reinstall merge the following...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate]
"DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium"=dword:00000001

FORCED BING is the most revolting thing since chitlins and mountain oysters@SD777 

ABSOLUTELY DESPISE MICROSOFT FOR FORCING THEIR CRAP ON US.   HAVING AN OPTION IS ONE THING, BUT FORCE FEEDING THEIR GARBAGE NUISANCES IS QUITE THE OPPOSITE AND A DISGUSTING CORPORATE SOP.    **bleep** MICROSOFT AND THEIR NAZI OPINIONS AND THEIR NEWS CENSORS WITH ABSOLUTELY ZERO COMPREHENSION OF CONTEXT OR VARIOUS MEANINGS FOR HE SAME WORDS.   IGNORANT TEAMS MAKES FOR IGNORANT DECISIONS -- PRECISELY WHAT MICROSOFT IS SO DETERMINED TO HAVE AS THEIR LEGACY.

@Cameron_Bush I think MS NEWS is very much like the Old Tabloids in the Grocery Stores back in the day.  I don't believe most people would even consider it to be authentic news.  It is a total waste of time.  I don't even use the Edge browser because of this rag.

So MS has been putting edge back in again and running it in the background. After the above. Find and replace all instances of msedge.exe with rundll32.exe (renamed to msedge.exe of course). Make sure to prevent the trusted installer from write access. rundll32.exe functions as a decent noop. Also, since bing, msn, etc.. cannot be blocked with the hosts. file as they are hard coded into the os now, block them with an external firewall. Better, yet - goto ubuntu / nextcloud / libreoffice /thunderbird / davX5.