Introducing Workspaces in Edge | New feature

MVP

image.png

image.png

image.png

Workspaces

you can create multiple Workspaces in Edge, have tabs in each of them, and when you close all Edge windows and open Edge again, you still have your workspaces, it's like a combination of tabs set aside + tab groups + pinned tabs

experimental feature in canary, probably CFR. works really well so far

95 Replies
Great, just need to be synced

@Rohit Yadav 

I cannot find a keyboard shortcut to switch between workspaces fast. Any ideas, anyone?

Doesn't seem to be implemented yet, but you can send it using the feedback button on Edge as a suggestion so they will consider it.
(feedback shortcut: Alt + Shift + i )

As of Edge Version 91.0.858.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

the icon has the ability to appear on the right side of the GUI now.

image.png

What do you think? right is better or left? maybe option for user to choose it.

Since it seems to be a candidate to replace Set Tabs Aside, I'd prefer it to be on the left to not screw my muscle memory lol

@HotCakeX Apparently this feature is still not available on MacOS -- neither Canary nor Dev have it at the moment.

Workspaces and vertical tabs are two different thing. You can turn on both workspaces and vertical tabs at the same time, you can also have workspaces and traditional horizontal tabs. For me, I like to put workspaces button to right side.
1) Less mouse moves
2) Workspaces is a light weight use profile, they should put together. You can have 2 different workspaces while do not need to setup your favorite extensions and adblock rules again. If you do want to open another user profile, It is not too far.

I have used Vivaldi's session,  Chrome and Edges' tab group, titled window, and Opera's workspaces. I have to say Opera's workspaces feature has best user experience. Now, Edge has dockable history, dockable bookmark, dockable download and sidebar search, maybe a real sidebar is needed to put these all together.

@Jeffz9527 

@Jeffz9527 wrote:

I have used Vivaldi's session,  Chrome and Edges' tab group, titled window, and Opera's workspaces. I have to say Opera's workspaces feature has best user experience. Now, Edge has dockable history, dockable bookmark, dockable download and sidebar search, maybe a real sidebar is needed to put these all together.

You haven't tried Edge's workspaces yet. tab groups are just to color tabs for better visibility and finding them. workspaces are very different.

window naming is meh. never used it, don't know why it's even there. it's too manual and time consuming for me that opens and closes windows constantly.

@HotCakeX Actually, I did use Edge's workspaces feature since I know it. I moved my tabs from another user profile to a workspace named "Life", so I don't have to maintain 2 sets of extensions, adblock rules, proxy rules. English is not my first language, so let me try again :smile: . Edge's workspace is a shortcut  to open your named windows which can constantly and automatically save. Before it, you open a window, open some tab, close the window, you lost them( You still can find them in history's recent closed section)

I mixed two things in last post:

1) All mainstream browser made some effect to make tabs better, but currently, opera's workspaces has the best user experience, because Opera has a sidebar, when you add a workspace, a new icon appeared, so you only need 1 click switch between workspaces, the whole browser has only 1 window in taskbar.

2) Edge need a sidebar to put all dockable thing(bookmark, history, download, sidebar search) together,  also, workspaces feature can leverage it to get better user experience.

Hopefully, I made myself clear.

Only thing missing is a keyboard short cut to easily switch between workspaces. Hope this is added soon. 

Yes, this feature is still in developing, it will get a good shape.

@Jeffz9527 

If you want to make it appear on the right side, you can use this:

msRightSideWorkspacesButton

and this is for basic activation:

msWorkspaces
Ugh, Bookmarks, Collections, Set Aside, and now: Workspaces.

The problem is not that we do not have ways to manage tabs. The problem is that people can not work through all the tabs.

Can not find that tab? Who needs to search among open tabs? Just Google it with bing and open the same tabs again.

Finished research on the topic? Leave the tabs open. One day Edge will crash and erase everything. Again who needs that search and ways to order tabs, and highlight tabs negative keywords.

Why build better infrastructure for extensions? Who needs plugins suggestions as MS Edge did. No one.

I love you all people, but man, God bless you.
I don't see the point in your comment.
I do not see the point in you patronizing everyone and replying to each comment.

@HotCakeX 

• Having the control/menu on the right makes a certain kind of sense, since it’s near the profile selector (workspaces seem to be a sort of “subclass” of a profile, eh?)

• On the left next to the vertical tabs toggle... seems a little crowded

You’re right; it seems this may replace most* remaining “set aside tabs” functionality not available using existing workarounds involving the use of favorites and collections (i.e. maintaining per-tab forward/backward navigation history and tab page scroll position).

* Except for “Boss key”-style single-click functionality and (maybe) remembering which tab was selected. (Marking the selected/frontmost tab is actually the thing I miss most now that I use the “Save all tabs to favorites” feature.) 

P.S. This is an interesting addition along with the new well-designed “Kids Mode”.

One nice (per-workspace?) option might be to close all existing tabs/windows when switching, as is done when entering “Kids Mode” today.

Example:

• At the end of a workday, one could select their “Evening” workspace, and everything assigned to their “Work” workspace would disappear (from screen and hopefully from mind) automatically until they switched back the next morning.

That sort of 2-4 click functionality for context switching is still missing from the new Edge browser.

If this really preserves tab selection and page scroll location like the legacy “Set-Aside Tabs” feature, restoring everything as if nothing had happened, that would be quite amazing!

@HotCakeX

Could you explain how this tool works? Especially the fact that workspaces are kept? Thank you!
Thanks for sharing this, since it's not in my Dev channel yet. There is a "workspaces" feature in Opera and I always thought it was brilliant. I can't wait to have something similar in Edge. I mean, it's like virtual desktops for your browser!