Edge browser 100% CPU, requires Force Quit (macOS Mojave and v91.0.864.48)

Occasional Visitor

I'm reporting a problem I've experienced with Edge since I began using it six months ago. After using Edge for a few hours, it will begin using 100% CPU. According to the Task Manager, it is the "Browser" thread that is using this CPU. If I Quit the application, all the windows close but it doesn't fully quit; I have to do command-option-esc to open the Force Quit window (where it says "Microsoft Edge (not responding)" and then I'm able to Force Quit it. When I relaunch it and re-open the web pages I was using, it works fine (until later that day or the next day, when the process repeats). 

Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this so I can file a useful bug report?

This has happened many times over the past 6 months, over many different Edge versions (I'm always using the latest stable version). I'm not able to reproduce the issue when I want, but it happens regularly every or every-other day. 

I'm using macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

Edit: It just happened again, so I took some screenshots and attached them below.

4 Replies
Same here. Actually I have switched back to Chrome for a month now.

Tagging @johnjansen, to please further look into this issue.

@quinncom same here. If someone from the Edge team is interested I used 'sample' in Activity monitor and captured a 3s sample of the process before I killed it. I keep waking up in the morning with fans on high speed. Switching away from Edge Dev to save my microchips :).

I'm also getting the same issue with my 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro, running BigSur 11.4. I also have a 3s sample from Activity Monitor, if anyone from MS is interested.