Dev channel update to 88.0.673.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 88.0.673.0 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is the first build from major version 88, and it’s a very special build, because it marks our first release for Linux to the Dev channel!  For all the details, see https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/10/20/microsoft-edge-dev-linux/.  We’ve also had lots of other exciting news over the past week: 

As for the changes in Edge this week: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to take a screenshot of a webpage and add ink to it. 
  • Added extra error information to tabs when they crash due to sandbox conflict. 
  • Improved Single Sign-On support on Mac. 
  • Added a management policy to control the Edge Shopping Assistant.  Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates haven’t been made yet. 
  • Added a management policy to configure how URLs are copied from Edge.  Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates haven’t happened yet. 
  • Added a management policy to prevent the automatic redirection of incompatible websites from Internet Explorer to Edge.  Note that this policy specifically prevents the installation of a component in Internet Explorer required for redirection to occur, and updates to documentation and administrative templates haven’t happened yet. 
  • Added a management policy to control the automatic redirection of incompatible websites from Internet Explorer to Edge.  Note that this redirection is enabled by default, and updates to documentation and administrative templates haven’t happened yet. 
  • Added a management policy to hide the informational dialog that’s shown the first time an automatic redirection from an incompatible website in Internet Explorer to Edge occurs.  Note that hiding this popup also disables the automatic import of user data from Internet Explorer to Edge and updates to documentation and administrative templates haven’t happened yet. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to allow WebDriver to Override Incompatible Policies. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where the prompt to restore tabs isn’t shown when Edge is automatically closed due to the device restarting or turning off. 
  • Fixed an issue where attaching a file while submitting feedback sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when installing a website as an app. 
  • Fixed a hang when opening the browser. 
  • Fixed a hang when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a hang when disabling an extension. 
  • Fixed a hang when opening a website installed as an app. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where clearing hosted app data when closing the browser also clears cookies. 
  • Fixed an issue where “default.log” files are sometimes created in various user-visible locations on a device. 
  • Fixed an issue where folders in the Favorites menu don’t remember that they were previously open. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes use icons that are too big on the Start menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where form fields in some PDFs can’t be filled in. 
  • Fixed an issue where dropdowns on webpages sometimes can’t be used or closed. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a link into the tab band to open a new tab doesn’t work in fullscreen because Shy UI doesn’t appear.  Note that this has only been fixed for mouse users, and a fix for touch users is still needed. 
  • Fixed an issue where sites that are supposed to open in IE mode sometimes open in regular tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where dialogs in IE mode tabs would sometimes prevent other Edge windows from being usable. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an IE mode tab sometimes causes full Internet Explorer to open. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.  In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

We’re also rolling out version 87 to Beta today, so look for those updates as well! 

71 Replies

@erictbar given that Zorin isn't one of our officially supported distros, I'm not surprised it's got some issues.  If you use the alt+shift+i shortcut to send feedback, is the feedback window usable?  It might be interesting to see if we can get any logs from that.  

@Wittycat that flag looks like it came from Chromium, so since it's not one of ours, I'm not sure what it did.  What was the behavior before when you had access to the flag, and what's different now?  

This flag disable auto fill of the connection form, and when we clic on the login or password box it show to us password saved for this website and only when we clic on the list it fill the box.

PS : for the instability i had to disable sync remove data and re-enable sync for solve the instability error caused by the 2009 update (if someone elle have the same bug)

Can someone make me understand that how can an application crash while closing it and how to notice that?

Edge or applications in general?

@josh_bodnerI have the same issue with Edge Dev 88.0.673.0-1 on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS system running in Parallels Desktop 16. I do only see the title bar of the Edge Dev window but the window content is all white. Probably a compatibility problem with the Parallels graphics driver and/or graphics acceleration in Edge Dev?

EDIT: Solved! Run Edge Dev using microsoft-edge-dev --disable-gpu to disable hardware acceleration. This should successfully start Edge Dev. One can disable hardware acceleration permanently by disabling Settings -> System -> Use hardware acceleration when available until Parallels provides a fix. It seems to be a problem with their graphics driver as Google Chrome shows the same behavior when run in Parallels/Linux.

@josh_bodner Is there a change in "view-source:"? In Edge dev 88.0.673.0 (also in Beta, Canary and Chrome Canary), the source code is not wrapped while it is wrapped in Edge Stable 86.0.622.5. It is more convenient for me to view a wrapped source code. Can I have an option to get back Word Wrap in "view-source:"?

@sdmmr If Chrome is doing the same thing, this is likely something they changed upstream and we inherited it.  The good news is that it's pretty trivial to get the old behavior back since it looks like they just changed a few CSS properties.  If you change them back by adding those 3 properties to the main table, you can get the old behavior:  

josh_bodner_0-1603435164818.png

So, it's probably also trivial to write an extension to automatically do that.  In the meantime, you should also file feedback directly from the Devtools (even though I know this technically isn't in the Devtools) since those are the folks who would be the most interested in this.  

@Wittycat Just to be clear, did you want to prevent the autofill popup from appearing at all, or just from appearing until you interact with the form?  

@TheShaunSaw The easiest way to notice if Edge crashes when an individual window is closed is if all your other windows disappear at the same time.  If Edge only crashes when the last window is closed though, then the easiest way to tell is if the prompt to restore your tabs shows up the next time you open Edge, since that only appears when Edge crashes.  

@josh_bodner
Thanks for the info. If I will see this kind of behaviour in edge in the future. I will be sure to send feedback about it.

@josh_bodner 

Found a bug in this Edge dev that I reported using feedback tool and I hope problem recorder captured all the necessary data, but others can try reproduce it and report it as well with diagnostic data using feedback tool.

so every time I launch Edge Dev using a website shortcut that was pinned to taskbar via "Pin to taskbar" or "taskbar pinning wizard" ,

dsdada.png

the Edge updater shows an error

edge://settings/help

sdsda.png

However, when I launch Edge Dev normally using the Edge Dev shortcut from taskbar/start menu/desktop, this error isn't shown and Edge checks for update successfully.

@josh_bodner When using dark theme once again entire tab flashes white on navigation or opening new tab. Really defeats the whole purpose of dark theme, the flashes are way worse than staring at white pages. Must be regression because it wasn't doing it for quite some time (current release version doesn't do it either).

@HotCakeX It looks like this isn't new since I can also reproduce it in Stable, so I'm going to ask our installer team if this is intentional (I sure hope it isn't!)

@dstarkowski I suspect this is a side-effect of the work we've been doing to render new tabs faster, so just to confirm, do you see this on every new tab, or is it only some of the time?  

@dstarkowski The same thing happens to me (but only 3~4 times since I installed this on January 15.)

Sorry for the delay, Actually i want it appear only when i interact with the form and with autofill disabled (since i have read some rogue script steal password like that).
The flag i have linked in stable do the job but in dev it isn't here anymore :\

@josh_bodner Thanks for responding.

It happens every time I open new page (but not in InPrivate) and when I navigate with back, forward or opening favorites. It does not happen when I navigate via a link on a page.

Seems to me when navigating with normal links on pages the old page stays rendered on a screen. When navigating with any of above means, the "fresh" page appears and it's blank white until something is loaded and rendered.

@dstarkowski Interesting that you can't get it to happen in InPrivate.  I can, but I have to really work my machine hard since it seems to be worse when Edge is struggling, so I suspect that you can't just because the InPrivate new tab page is much easier to load than the non-InPrivate one.  Our new tab page team is aware and looking into it, and also brought up that this may be related to the work we've done recently to merge our Office and News new tab pages, so I'm curious if you're signed into Edge with a work/school account or a personal one (or none).