Dev channel update to 77.0.189.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders! Today we released build 77.0.189.3 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  As you can see, we’ve moved on to version 77, and as such, there are some fun new things to try out.  Those new things, as well as the fixes we believe are significant enough to mention this week, include: 

New features and behavior:

• Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
  • Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
  • Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard’s ctrl and space keys.
  • Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
  • Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
  • Updated the color of windows when they’re inactive.

Fixes for improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where opening Settings as a guest crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening DevTools in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the loading spinner and the tab icon existed at the same time.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages with videos would crash.
  • Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes get deleted if the first run experience is interrupted.
  • Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
  • Fixed an issue where installed websites can’t be uninstalled from Windows Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where DevTools extensions weren’t appearing in the list of DevTools extensions.
  • Fixed an issue where sync sometimes wouldn’t work when using a VPN.
  • Fixed an issue where files shown on the downloads page used a generic icon instead of the file’s own icon.

Mac-only changes:

• Fixed an issue where clicking the Restart App button when installing an update doesn’t open the browser again.
  • Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes aren’t shown.
  • Fixed an issue where the text for the keyboard shortcut to open Downloads is different depending on where it is seen.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to enter keychain credentials is unexpectedly seen after installing a new build.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

45 Replies
awe man, I was hoping you would have included the "show ions only" for the favorites bar with this update.. Ah well, maybe next update.... lol

"Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout."
Still no option to NOT show news at all.... I think this does need adding....
Other wise I like the updates....

Dennis5mile

@josh_bodner 

Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.

I believe this setting is NOT needed, as its available on the New Tab page. I suggest to combine On Startup and New Tab Page pages in Settings into one with 2 above subsections. In New Tab Page subsection, offer choice:

- User Set Layout

- Empty Tab

- Open a Web Page

Generally, try cutting the list of Settings pages to bare minimum, and make each such page contain many relevant settings, not just left almost empty.

in the inprivate windows, it is still very difficult to distinguish the active tab, it does not differ from the rest

I agree - I'm not sure if it preloads this information, but I rarely ever look at it anymore and just use the "Inspirational" setting. Only when I accidentally scroll do I even occasionally take a peek at what's in there.

给中国的朋友们:

新功能&特性:

允许用户在 设置 中选择他们想要的新标签页布局。

在 帮助和反馈 菜单中添加了一个选项,供用户报告不安全的网站。

现在可以使用键盘的 ctrl 和空格键来选择多个选项卡。

发送反馈对话框增加了 黑暗主题。

在当前活动标签和其他标签之间添加了一个分隔符,方便用户区分活动标签和其他标签。

更新了处于非活动状态时的窗口颜色。

提高可靠性: 修复了当用户打开 设置 页时会导致浏览器崩溃的问题。

修复了在 隐私模式 下中打开 开发者工具 时,可能会导致浏览器崩溃的问题。

修复了 加载图标 和 标签图标 同时存在的问题。

修复了使用 语音阅读 时崩溃的问题。

修复了打开某些 带有视频的网页 时可能会崩溃的问题。

修复了 初次运行中断 时收藏夹有时会被删除的问题。

修复了一些之前没有翻译的字符串。

修正了无法从 Windows 设置中卸载已安装网站的问题。

修复了某些需要附加在 开发者工具 上的扩展没有正确加载的问题。

修复了在使用 VPN 时有时无法同步数据的问题。

修复了在下载页显示的图标不是该文件本身的图标的问题。

对于Mac用户:

修复了当安装更新时点击 重启 按钮不能再次打开浏览器的问题。

修复了 右键菜单 有时不显示的问题。

修复了使用 打开下载 快捷键时提示文本显示位置不恰当的问题。

修复了安装新版本后可能会看到输入钥匙串凭据的提示的问题。

一如既往,感谢您的参与,并继续向我们发送您宝贵的反馈和建议!

I know that maybe it's a bit to much to ask custom search engine on the new tab.

So, could we, at least, remove the search field?

@orlando2bjr the "new tab URL" chrome extension works in Edge also. It will let you set the new tab page to whatever URL you want.

It would be nice if they added "blank page" and a custom URL to the new tab page.

Thanks, @null_character , but I want to keep the daily image from Bing.
I've tested the extension but if I set it to bing.com it also has no way of hiding the search bar. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, I didn't even know it *was* available from the new tab page - thanks for poiting that out (indirectly) ^^

@josh_bodner Can you please include font smoothing/anti-aliasing the way non-chromium Edge has it now?

@josh_bodner  

Can somebody fix the mouse track-pad over sensitivity issue fixed. 

@orlando2bjr 

Oh it's so weird talking to people and not by name, geesh.

Anyway, > Chrome store and grab this extension (see below).  I did heaps of looking & experimenting... and, it will do exactly what you want... although, maybe not using the Bing Daily picture, but, you will, still, probably love what all there is available (for background).  Trust me, from 1st hand use, this is perfect.  And look what one of the options is :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Off.jpg
This is it installed
A1NTP.jpg
Just go grab it HERE & there you go :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::ok_hand:

And see, no search bar
NSB.jpg
In fact, the search bar is not needed since the address/search box is (always) at the top of the page, anyway; one hardly needs 2 search boxes on the same page, good point.
Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Using the dark theme, the active tab is nearly impossible to guess. Here it is slightly lighter due to the clipping tool, but not when viewed on the monitor:

EdgeTabs.PNG

@Gustav Brock 

The solution is to use an OS Accent colour that affords a certain amount of contrast.  And have checked ✔ Show accent colour on Title bars & window borders.

I run Dark & have no trouble seeing the tabs.  I found out it depends on the OS Accent colour used how easy or hard it is to see the tabs.

Cheers,
Drew 
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Excellent recommendation was excellent. Many thanks - just what I was looking for! Have just signed up to the forum to thank you. Don't seem to be able to like your post but consider yourself morally liked.

Meanwhile - seriously, Microsoft, let us change the search provider on the new tab screen. I can't imagine this is any more than a few lines of code. It comes across as a deliberate choice of a dark pattern.

@Drew1903 

Nope. That works for, say, Windows Explorer, but for Edge Dev is has the reverse effect. When Edge Dev looses focus, it is displayed as you mention, but as soon as it gets focus, the setting has no effect.

@Gustav Brock 

Are you sure about that?

1UNo0bF

Funnily enough, the all dark is how I'd prefer it to be for Edge.... Swap title bars?

@Loccy 

You are most welcome :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: And, thanks for the 'Like' ;) Yes, in that NTP you can, indeed, pick a search engine, so true. Although, with this one can, also, not even have the Search bar showing (btw).  We are talking about Infinite Dashboard (extension) from the Chrome store.  The videos for backgrounds are neat, too.

Subject change:

Here is an example of tabs being easy to see whilst using Dark Mode
Atab.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@josh_bodner 

Hi

This is about problem I had with either one version of edge dev before this one (xx.2) or ahci intel driver.

I don't know is it edge dev problem but maybe it is (I don't even know if edge can do that, what was the problem)

My computer would start blu ray (seek noise, led on) while there is no disk present.

This behaviour happened few times a day.

After I unintalled edge dev and switched intel ahci for ms ahci it stopped.

Its hard to say that it is either edge dev or intel ahci related but it is possible.

I now reinstalled edge dev but left ms ahci.

So far so good.

Best regards.