Dev Channel update to 114.0.1788.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders! Today, we are releasing the first build of 114 with 114.0.1788.0 to the Dev channel, which includes small fixes and a new feature, and a new policy. For more details on the changes, check out the highlights below.  We got new blog posts since my last update that you can check out below.

Edge features to help you stay organized and power your productivity | Windows Experience Blog

Introducing the “Browser essentials” feature in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog

Added features:  

• Added Automatically open Bing chat conversation in the side pane in the Discover setting.
  • Enterprise:
    • New policy: (Note: Updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have occurred yet)
      • Added policy to disable Read Aloud feature.

Improved reliability:  

• Fixed browser crash when uninstalling certain extensions.
  • Fixed PDF viewer crashing.
  • Browser crash when launching PWA.
  • Fixed can’t open PWA after updating the browser.
  • macOS:
    • Fixed browser crash when clicking on Send feedback.
  • Linux:
    • Fixed browser crash when clicking on Send feedback.
  • Android:
    • Fixed browser crash after clearing the browser history.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed Diagnostic data showing a blank dialog when clicking on diagnostic data link in Send Feedback.
  • Enterprise:
    • Added prompt to download only for .ics and .mobileconfig files on iOS and Android.
    • Fixed unable to load pages when using a VPN in certain scenarios on iOS and Android.
    • Users now can turn off always show sidebar if sidebar is enabled by policy.

Thanks again for sending us feedback and helping us improve our Insider builds.

22 Replies
Problem with follow up update
Microsoft Edge Version 114.0.1788.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Efficiency mode/sleeping tabs is not saving much memory - when both are activated, maximum memory should be saved.

UI rendering bug also still unresolved, when activating side tabs you have annoying big black/white lines on top of the UI

Please fix that both issues already, so far you have not resolved anything of that.
Previous Dev version was minimizing memory usage from 3 GB Ram with 19 open tabs towards less than 1 GB Ram in a short amount of time with sleeping tabs and maximum efficiency mode activated.

This new build here hovers around 2800-3000 MB constantly without maximum savings with both features activated.

That is a major regression. Would be really nice if you take our feedback serious for once.

@Eric_EI'm liking the new update, but there's one issue that has been bothering me for a while now. In edge://settings/appearance, I noticed that the options to enable rounded corners and move the profile icon seem incomplete. It'd be great if there were separate options to enable rounded tabs and corners in the browser window, as I really like the tabs but not the corners. Unfortunately, I currently must choose both or none, so I've opted for none. Can you please split the settings so that the tabs and corners can be enabled separately? Thank you! Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 11.04.07.png

@familieslife1 thanks for showing that those settings even existed!  Updated this morning and had rounded corners and movement of the profile icon and both I found disturbing.  Your post showed me where to turn them off!  Many thanks for getting me back some screen real estate!

@Eric_E Pinning the any of the panels (history, favorites, etc.) overlaps with the main window.

BoydB_0-1681405764877.png

Glad I could help, even if unintentionally lol. :)

@Eric_E A recent update removed the ability to highlight text, right click and copy it when it's text with a link. The only option now is to copy link or copy link to highlight. CTRL + C will still copy the text but Copy or Copy text needs to be added to the right mouse click menu. I can't be the only one who copies link text every day with a mouse. Thanks!

The side bar is not behaving correctly in this release. This can be replicated with the following:
1. Turned off always show sidebar in settings
2. Hover over the Bing Chat icon, the Bing chat window appear together with Side Bar.
3. Note that Icon had the "Always Show Sidebar" selected. Click on the Icon, instead of making the side bar goes away, it make it perminent.
4. Click on the "Setting" gear icon to bring up settings.
5. You will now see the Bing Chat Windows is out of alignment.

Can we please have the function to bring up Bing Chat on hover turn off in upcoming releases? I would prefer a click on the icon to activate the function.
I'm still hoping that a feature that the majority of edge user's would like and that is when hovering the mouse pointer over the blue bing discover icon that would make the chat section as well as the sidebar appear, but when the mouse pointer gets moved away from that area that area would automatically be hidden once again.

@Eric_E bonjour les experts je ne sais pour quelle raison 

Mais j'ai cette version dans Microsoft edge canary 

Yes, only just noticed that now someone's pointed it out, but it's made me realise how much I used it - hope it's a bug and not gone for good.
The logo b in the upper right corner is gray,so I cannot use copilot.
If you're on Mac, that's been an issue for a while now unfortunately. Best workaround is to exit full screen and hold down Option as you click the green maximise button instead - this puffs the window up to full-screen without making it enter 'true' full-screen mode, allowing you to use the Bing button.

@Eric_E bonjour ou bonsoir les experts 

Version 114.0.1788.0 (Version officielle) dev (64 bits)

Installé sur Microsoft edge canal DEV 

@BoydB I see the same issue, incorrect rendering of the Sidebar:

001-06u34.jpg

The engineering team is aware of this and actively working to resolve it.
The engineering team is working to enable this in full-screen mode on macOS.
If you right-click on the link, do you get the option to copy link?

@familieslife1 If you haven't already, I recommend sending feedback from the browser to let the engineering team know you would like to have separate options with rounded corners and rounded tabs.

1. Click on the three dots menu button.
  2. Go to Help and feedback.
  3. Click on Send feedback.
  4. Fill out the form.
  5. Click on Send.