SOLVED

Add Extension Support for Android version of Edge browser

MVP

It's possible, there are browsers like Kiwi that support it. would be great if Microsoft Edge did the same and allowed our extensions used in desktop to be used on Android phones and tablets too.

of course this needs to be considered in the process of revamping the current Edge Android version and swapping its engines.

74 Replies
Would love to switch to Edge on Android to be all on the same browser everywhere, but until this is addressed I am sticking with Kiwi browser.
I made a clean install of win10 after about 6 years and I thought I could try to go all in on the Microsoft ecosystem. It suggested I activitate AdBlock so I thought they integrated extensions for mobile. Obviously I went straight for uBlock Origin because nobody uses AdBlock anymore but it seems I was wrong and they don't have extensions integrated and AdBlock is custom developed.

Common guys... You are actually this close to gaining a lot more users.
I need AsciiDoc support on Android. The only working ways are browser extensions. I need to use kiwi browser, because Chrome and Edge are not willing to support Chrome extensions in their Android browsers.

So it's mid 2022. Still no addons for Android Edge...

@igsfi Yep - which is *the only* reason I still use Kiwi on Android.

*Bumpity bump bump bump*

Once again asking please, please, please consider extension support on Android. Using Firefox but I love the UI on Edge more and I'd love to use it across all my devices.
nearly 3 years on and still no progress? this would be a very popular feature - I need an ad blocker and the Tweak New Twitter extension and it's very frustrating to have to install Firefox mobile just to get extensions

@Mary Branscombe This currently has the largest number of votes on the new Edge feedback portal. I look forward to finding out if this is planned.

@Mary Branscombe 

I'm pretty sure you're my internet twin. For years now you always appear in the same topics, at the same time, with the exact same thoughts.

It started with trying to get Microsoft to implement Tracking Protection Lists (TPL) from Internet Explorer into legacy Edge (luckily legacy Edge had extension support and extension developers like Nik Rolls). Now, probably around 7 years later, we're using Firefox on Android for it's extension support.

The problem is, although Edge for Android comes with Adblock Plus, an ad blocker is not just necessary for ads and trackers now-a-days, but also because websites have become so obnoxious and hostile towards their visitors. Twitter is one example, but at this point I think the way websites have decided to implement GDPR pop-ups and other nags, they have become more obnoxious than ads themselves.

With uBlock Origin and the native blocker built into Brave browser, it allows users to use both custom rules and also third-party lists to make the web half useable, which is something lacking with the one built into Edge for Android (even Internet Explorer 9 which came out in 2011 had this).

After using uBlock Origin on Firefox for Android with the "Adguard Annoyances" list enabled, it's really not a nice experience trying to use Edge on mobile again and getting hit with a barrage of GDPR banners, etc..

Mind you, once support for Manifest V2 is removed from Chromium browsers, then I think uBlock Origin users will likely move to either Brave or Firefox anyway. No-one is going to tolerate the web in it's current form after being used to using uBlock Origin.  However, I'm not sure what Enterprise users who have deployed uBlock Origin through Group Policy will do though – they will become a bit unstuck…

hah! I'm always glad to hear I'm not a total outlier. it would be a hard shift for me to move to another browser because I have been so firmly in the IE and Edge ecosystem for so long, so I really hope there's some movement on this soon...

@HotCakeX I 100% agree. Man It's almost like no one is behind the wheel here at Microsoft. Maybe  however, they have some master plan so complicated and advanced in its implementation that they are playing 9 chess moves ahead. Unfortunately we've been playing air hockey this whole time and google has just about sealed the victory away.  

Here is one area where you (Microsoft) could offer a clear and distinct advantage over chrome, add extension support. 

The fact that this has not already happened is honestly disappointing and frustrating. 

I 100% do not believe Microsoft has a complete/coherent vision to unify it. 

Why even have edge for mobile if you didn't intend for it to be the best, And if it is intended to be the best browser for mobile, then why not give it something to set it ahead of the competition? I generally don't understand the reasoning here? I'm honestly concerned with Google's near monopoly of the internet, and I would love to be able to point people toward edge, but what does it do better than chrome, it does things differently, that may be subjectively better but what does it do that is objectively better?

Also I'd like to say I'm a fan of Microsoft. And I want to use the edge browser I just also want it to be a better browser.

nothing happened since this post in 2019
Yes, now in the Dev channel I think, can't wait to use it on beta/stable builds, this is truly game changing and something I'm pretty sure Chrome will never get since they don't like adblockers :)