The FSLogix 2201 Public Preview is now available

Microsoft

FSLogix 2201 Public Preview Update 1 has been published to address the issue outlined below. Please read details here.

FSLogix 2201 is now available in Public Preview.  This public preview is not recommended for production workloads. Please leverage your standard Microsoft support channels to report issues with this public preview release.

ISSUE IDENTIFIED IN THIS PUBLIC PREVIEW RELEASE:

We discovered an issue with the 2201 public preview that is impacting customers with session hosts configured to allow users to have more than one Windows session per user per host. In those situations, only that user's first session to a host will connect. Additional connections for that user to that host will fail to login.

Your environment is impacted by this bug if you have the "Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single Remote Desktop Services Session" group policy set to disabled or the HKLM:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\fSingleSessionPerUser regkey value is set to 0.

We recommend impacted customers not install this public preview or revert back to the current generally available release. We are validating a fix for the issue and will publish an update to the public preview when it is available. Customers not impacted by this issue can continue validating this public preview release.

Preview Details

You can sign up here to participate in the Public Preview:

https://aka.ms/fslogix/preview

This release can be installed over all existing versions of FSLogix or you can perform a fresh install without a pre-existing FSLogix version.

Here's what's new in this release:

• Fixed issue where the FSLogix Profile Service would crash if it was unable to communicate with the FSLogix Cloud Cache Service.
  • The OfficeFileCache folder located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache is now machine specific and encrypted so we now exclude it from FSLogix containers. Office files located outside this folder are not impacted by this update.
  • Windows Server 2019 version 1809, and newer versions of Windows Server, natively support per-user search indexes and we recommend you leverage that native search index capability. FSLogix Search Indexing is no longer available on those versions of Windows Server.
  • Windows 10 Enterprise Multi-session and Windows 11 Enterprise Multi-session natively support per-user search indexes and FSLogix Search Indexing is no longer available on those operating systems.
  • FSLogix now correctly handles cases where the Windows Profile Service refCount registry value is set to an unexpected value.
  • Over 30 accessibility related updates have been made to the FSLogix installer and App Rules Editor.
  • A Windows event now records when a machine locks a container disk with a message that looks like "This machine '[HOSTNAME]' is using [USERNAME]'s (SID=[USER SID]) profile disk. VHD(x): [FILENAME]."
  • Resolved an issue where the DeleteLocalProfileWhenVHDShouldApply registry setting was sometimes ignored.
  • Fixed an issue where active user session settings where not retained if the FSLogix service was restarted. This was causing some logoffs to fail.
  • FSLogix will no longer attempt to reattach a container disk when the user session is locked.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the FSLogix service to crash when reattaching container disks.
  • Fixed a Cloud Cache issue that caused IO failures if the session host's storage blocksize was smaller than a cloud provider's. For optimal performance, we recommend the session host disk hosting the CCD proxy directory has a physical block size greater than or equal to the CCD storage provider with the largest blocksize size.
  • Fixed a Cloud Cache issue where a timed out read request (network outage, storage outage, etc.) was not handled properly and would eventually fail.
  • Reduced the chance for a Cloud Cache container disk corruption if a provider is experiencing connection issues.
  • Resolved an issue where temporary rule files were not deleted if rule compilation failed.
  • Previously, the Application masking folder was only created for the user who ran the installer. With this update, the rules folder is created when the Rules editor is launched.
  • Resolved an interoperability issue with large OneDrive file downloads that was causing some operations to fail.
  • Fixed an issue where per-user and per-group settings did not apply if the Profile or ODFC container was not enabled for all users.
  • Resolved an issue where the Office container session configuration was not cleaned up if a profile fails to load.
  • Fixed an issue where HKCU App Masking rules leveraging wildcards would fail to apply.
  • Fixed an issue where FSLogix did not properly handle logoff events if Profile or ODFC containers were disabled during the session or per-user/per-group filters were applied mid-session that excluded the user from the feature. Now FSLogix logoff related events will always occur if FSLogix loaded a container for the user.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some sessions configured with an ODFC container to fail to login.
  •  Resolved an issue where the rule editor would crash if there were no assignments configured.

81 Replies
Thanks for reporting that issue @jshonk. Would you mind opening a support tocket so we can investigate the root cause?

@Steve Downs We notice that we still have some sessions that do not clean up properly. 

The command 'frx.exe list-redirects' shows no open redirects and the .vhdx is dismounted properly.

However, there is "C:\Users\<username>" and "C:\Users\local_<username>" after the user logs of. The "local_<username>" we can remove; but the "C:\Users\<username>" will stay locked untill a reboot.

If the user would logon to the same RDS server again, they will get a "C:\Users\<username>.FSL0" and "C:\Users\local_|<username>.FSL0"; but that causes issues with Outlook OST cache that still excepts the path without .FSL0.

The following rekeys are set:

- HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FRXDRVVT\Instances\frxdrvvt\Altitude = "138010"

- HKLM\SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Apps\CleanupInvalid Sessions = dword:1

Revent logs:

==

[08:24:59.681][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] Unregister app notifications
[08:24:59.790][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] Accessing network as user object
[08:24:59.790][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] Adjusting symlinks
[08:24:59.837][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] Status set to 1: Cannot load user's profile
[08:24:59.837][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] ErrorCode set to 1064 - Message: An exception occurred in the service when handling the control request.
[08:24:59.837][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][ERROR:00000428] invalid string position (Uitzondering in de service bij het verwerken van de besturingsopdracht.)
[08:24:59.853][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] Configuration setting not found: SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Profiles\ShutdownOnUserLogoff. Using default: 0
[08:24:59.853][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] Configuration setting not found: SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Profiles\RebootOnUserLogoff. Using default: 0
[08:24:59.853][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][ERROR:00000428] UnloadProfile failed. Version: 2.9.8048.43478. User: Username. SID: S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. SessionId: 2. FrxStatus: 1064 (Uitzondering in de service bij het verwerken van de besturingsopdracht.)
[08:24:59.853][tid:00000dbc.00000c9c][INFO] unloadProfile time: 172 milliseconds

Cheers,

Peter

@PdfPeet 

@Steve Downs 

I have already mentioned this behavior with _local profile not being properly deleted occasionally. As I mentioned in my previous comment, this case was open as Microsoft Technical Support case and got escalated all the way to even examining OS system dump but no solution was found even though it was verified as a bug. The case was finally closed without a resolution. This issue is happening from previous versions for over 1 year now and there is still no official response from Microsoft on why the identified bug has not been resolved yet. In my article (https://stefanos.cloud/kb/how-to-resolve-error-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-d...) I provide a detailed analysis of the issue and of the troubleshooting steps performed in coordination with the FsLogix support team and product group. Numerous FsLogix users with same issue have contacted me from various countries asking if there any further update I can share with them. 

Again, this is affecting many customers and it is very important to have a final resolution. We need your feedback on this, thank you. 

@stefanoscloud

For now I've scheduled a simple script that runs every 30 minutes during the nightly hours to:

• Check if there are any users still logged on through RDP
  • If not, check if there are any local_ of profile folders still there that shouldn't
  • If so:
    • Run an "frx.exe list-redirects" and cleanup where needed (doesn't seem to be needed anymore since the 2201 release)
    • Run an "frx.exe stop-agent" & "frx.exe start-agent" (this removes the locks from the profile folders; without having to reboot the server)
    • Do additional cleaning
      • Registry: ProfileList and ProfileServices\References
      • Profile folder: take ownership and remove "local_<usersname>" and "<username>" folders

It's not ideal, but it keeps servers clean.

@PdfPeet 

Any chance you would be willing to share that script?

Hi everyone, We use a server 2019 1809 rds environment in combination with fslogix and onedrive. At the moment we are experiencing the problem that when opening a file from onedrive the following message appears: The cloud operation failed 0x8007017c. the options are then, try again, skip and cancel. if you click on “try again” the file will be opened. when you click on “cancel” the popup window disappears. after that the file opens without any problems and notification. when i put the file back to the cloud the problem comes back and i get the same error. when Fslogix is ​​not running the problem does not seem to arise. as soon as fslogix is ​​active again the problem occurs again. does anyone else have the same problem? I don't only have this with the preview version but also with other Fslogix versions. a reset, clean profile, disabling antivirus/firewall and several reinstalls of onedrive and fslogix didn't help unfortunately. thanks and greetings Stephan

@jshonk we've seen issues like that prior to this release. I've been in a dog fight with MSFT support where our AVD hosts with or without 16 users on the host will go to a screaming crawl. 30-60 sec just to launch edge. I see a lot of errors like what you are referencing with Excel and Outlook and then if the user logs off their VHD gets stuck and occasionally I can only dislodge them by rebooting the server. Other times the powershell script works.

@PdfPeet 

Hey,

can you share the script?

That would be great! :) 

We have a new installation for a customer that is currently working very well.

FSL_SCHMALZScreenshot 2022-02-09 081813.png

In another installation there is the problem that the domain account "Administrator" has a black screen after login. Can anyone confirm this problem?

@DBR14 We've had that AVD host performance issue you described a couple of times. when we contacted support they basically tell us to increase VM size which makes absolutely no sense if it happens when 0 users are logged on.
I didn't make the connection that this could be Fslogix related.

We can't get ANY file section to open inside of Teams AVD right now. However if I blow away Teams from Roaming Appdata inside the Microsoft folder, then relaunch Teams IT WORKS! BUT.. If I close Teams entirely and relaunch its broke again.

As for the performance part @rchan1910 
MSFT told us we had too many processes running on our VMs today and thats why its crashing, I think its BS, but Im going to reduce our load by 20% and see. I still think AVD+Fslogix is a beta product stack and we're all just eating the cost to test. Said our memory was running out, even though I've never seen it go above 70%.

@Steve Downs is there any known issues with Fslogix latest GA release that would be causing Teams issues where file list inside of teams just never load and do this? Deleting appdata within the fslogix profile fixes it. But as soon as we close teams and relaunch or a user logs out and back in, wham broke again unless you rinse and repeat. It HAS to be a Fslogix issue at that point.

DBR14_0-1644469037247.png

@PdfPeet, have you opened a support case? If not, could you please do so? That's the best way for us to collect logs and triage the issue.
@Stephanstoke, could you please open a support case?
@DBR14 we are not aware of any Teams related issues. Have you review the guidance on this page:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-for-vdi
We see the same thing. Teams works fine until you go to files. Then it crashes.
When did this start happening for you? We're seeing it in the last 2-3 weeks.
It worked fine up until 2-3 weeks ago. Been fine since July of 2021...

@Steve Downs 

In another installation there is the problem after Upgrade from Version 2.9.7838.44263 the domain account "Administrator" has a black screen after login. 

Can anyone confirm this problem?

@Steve Downs 
Since I don't have a support plan linked to my account, I submitted a request through the microsoft 365 portal. Hopefully they can pick it up from there.

This is an old problem, it's in all versions.
I tried upgrading one of our hosts from 2.9.7979 but it didn't go as smoothly as I'd hope. When I tried to logon I was greeted with a flashing taskbar. I could bring up the ctrl-alt-delete screen but was unable to do much after that. Disabling the fslogix service via our RMM let me sign back.

I tried doing a fresh install of this preview version but the result was the same.
The error code in the Operational logs was "creating registry key S-1-21-273264797-2751341861....\software\Microsoft\office(The parameter is incorrect.)

The odd thing is that I have second RDS running the same 2019 OS and it was able to install and run without any issue.

I reverted back in the time being.