SOLVED

AVD host pool auto assignment and application group using security group

Iron Contributor

I am new :smile: to AVD. I wanted to confirm how the automatic assignment type works when used with security groups. I have outlined the setup and expected behaviour. Could any experienced AVD expert please comment if I have got it right.

Setup

- AVD host pool configured with automatic assignment,

- Host pool is of type Personal and having only two VMs,

- Application group assignment using a security group, 

- Sam, Sarah and Singh are members of the security group,

- Sam is manually assigned a VM whereas the second VM is unassigned and available for users.

Behaviour

1. Sam can login and use his assigned VM.
  2. Sarah logs in next, what happens here. Does the host pool automatically assigns the second available VM to Sarah?
  3. Singh logs in and gets an error as host pool has run out of VMs

Above means Sam and Sarah can start working as both now have dedicated VMs assigned to them. However, Singh needs to wait until host pool is allocated more VMs.

More setup

AVD admin adds 2 more virtual machines to host pool. Nothing else is done i.e., Singh is not assigned any VM at this stage.

Behaviour

Singh logs in and AVD host pool automatically assigns one of the available VMs to Singh. 

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Gurdev Singh (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

Correct, that would be the behaviour of your AVD Environment.
SAM has already a VM assigned.
Sarah get's the last one free from the intial two as she logged in next.
Singh has to wait and after the add of two more hosts, he will get another one, once he tries to login again.
In the end, you have now one host available for whomever might login next, once added to the application group.

Best Regards,

Peter
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gurdev Singh (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

Correct, that would be the behaviour of your AVD Environment.
SAM has already a VM assigned.
Sarah get's the last one free from the intial two as she logged in next.
Singh has to wait and after the add of two more hosts, he will get another one, once he tries to login again.
In the end, you have now one host available for whomever might login next, once added to the application group.

Best Regards,

Peter

View solution in original post