Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that offers compatibility, reliability, and security for you and your organization.

The feedback we received from you from the Edge Insider builds has been really encouraging, and here are some of the most asked features that are available today, across Windows, Mac, and Linux:

Aditi_Gangwar_0-1614624119520.png

Reading and Navigation:

• Table of Contents enables you to view the contents of PDF files and navigate to different parts seamlessly, improving your productivity.
  • Page view enables you to view the PDF file in a book format, with the option to view the cover page separately.
  • Caret mode lets you navigate through your PDF files and select text directly through your keyboard by enabling Caret mode by pressing F7.
  • Accessibility support including keyboard accessibility, screen reader support, and capability to view PDFs in high contrast mode.
  • Fill basic PDF forms directly in the browser. (Please note that XFA forms are currently not supported)

Annotation tools:

• Ink on PDF files with colors and stroke width of your choice.
  • Text notes can be added quickly to text in the file to jot down thoughts for easy reference later.
  • Create highlights with Highlight mode enables you to draw attention to parts of the PDF that you find interesting. With Highlight mode, you can now create highlights directly by selecting text, as you would do with a highlighter and paper.
  • In-context annotations opens a quick menu right when you select text on PDF files, enabling you to take quick actions as highlight, copy without losing context.

Enterprise and Education:

• Read Aloud is now supported on PDF documents. You can use it either to retain focus while reading through it or to listen to PDF documents while multitasking!
  • Dictionary and search through in-context menu keeps helps you understand the content and research better, while keeping you in context.
  • Open Microsoft Information Protection (MIP) and Information Rights Management (IRM) protected PDFs and view permissions seamlessly within Microsoft Edge, without the need of any add-ins. MIP adds a layer of security to your documents. It ensures that only the users who have certain permissions such as view, copy, annotate can take those actions on the file. Hence, no matter where the document goes, the data of your organization remains secure.
  • Viewing MIP files protected in other tenants: This will enable you to view the files protected in other organizations, or in other tenants in the organization.
  • Certificate based Digital Signatures, which is currently under preview allows you to view and validate digital signatures present on PDF documents directly in the browser.

Here are the features we’re currently working on:

• View recovery: On re-opening a PDF file, reach your last-read location easily.
  • File preview of PDF files in File Explorer and Outlook
  • Add text box annotations: Add text boxes to fill forms, or take notes on PDFs
  • Validate Certificate based Digital Signatures: We’re currently working on adding support for signatures with long-term validity.

Further down the line:

• Viewing labels of protected files
  • Digital Signatures:
    • Validating ETSI signatures
    • Add Digital Signatures
  • Accessibility improvements: Advanced capability to fill forms and navigate through a PDF document using screen readers.

We are actively looking at feedback from you about the features you find important.

Please feel free to comment below or submit detailed feedback through the browser by going to " ... menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback”.

124 Replies
@Aditi_Gangwar you might also want to look into fixing the "pages per sheet" printing, as I've had multiple occasions when using it with a value of 4 and my HP MFP printer didn't print anything, but I successfully managed to print from Adobe Reader without any issues!

I would love to have the PDF reader as an application, in its own window, without the navigation top bar, with its own icon, associatable to document files.

• I would be able to set the windows side by side easily
  • I would be able to open PDF files from the file system without launching Edge and reloading all the tabs that were open last time I closed.
  • I would be able to keep al the open PDF files together in a window, not mingled with the web pages.
I would love you to reinstate the ebook reader capabilities from old Edge. Integrated with the PDF reader in a separate App window, as I suggested before, it could be one of the best document readers available.

@Aditi_Gangwar What about more markers colours?

@Aditi_Gangwar 

What about scrolling experience. Scrolling experience has improved since Improvements in PDF Reader. But as reported here five or six month ago, 4K smooth support- PDFs "When scrolling, the document is white and takes a moment to load". This has stopped me from using Edge as main PDF browser for me. When I scroll down, even in a very slow speed, I always see a stripe of white line and only after a while text appears in that region. Really hope more work is done at scrolling for PDF.

@spronkey - Thanks for the feedback. We have added this to our backlog and will work towards adding this capability.

Hi, this issue has been fixed now. Are you still facing this error in the latest version of Microsoft Edge?
Thank you for these great ideas! We'll definitely evaluate these for our product roadmap.
Thanks for keeping us honest and grounded with your feedback! We're continuously working on improving our scroll experience and would be rolling out some of them soon.

Thank you @Aditi_Gangwar for updates and these are great features and many people have been asking for these features.

One other requested feature is to show Properties of the PDF file like the Author, Date of Creation, Application Created it and so on.

Also ability to remove these details.

Video Comments on PDFs was a brilliant idea which is available now :)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/new-feature-video-comments-for-pdfs-now-available...

@Lobotomik 

Spoiler

@Lobotomik wrote:

I would love to have the PDF reader as an application, in its own window, without the navigation top bar, with its own icon, associatable to document files.

• I would be able to set the windows side by side easily
  • I would be able to open PDF files from the file system without launching Edge and reloading all the tabs that were open last time I closed.
  • I would be able to keep al the open PDF files together in a window, not mingled with the web pages.

Use Windows' window snapping feature.

previous tabs reloading? set the correct option here:

edge://settings/onStartup

Don't set it to "Continue where you left off"

nowadays, everything is mixed up. when website developers embed PDFs into their websites, can't expect Edge to not offer a seamless experience.

That is true, but many people have dozens of PDF documents in their filing systems, and Edge is a poor interface for that. You can make do with the file browser and open in edge, but a dedicated app is more practical, like there is one for photos and another for music.
Any plans to allow for deleting pages from a PDF or combining pages from other PDFs?

I really miss the multipage PDF-preview capability in the context of file explorer and non-microsoft programs.   

My medical software uses the slow preview feature of adobe acrobat, which allows only the preview of the first page. It would be much more comfortable if we could use a fast multipage pdf-preview of microsoft edge. 

The pdf-preview ist mentioned  in your roadmap ("Further down the line"). Could you give me more specific information about the roadmap for pdf-preview.

@ckits 

@ckits wrote:
Any plans to allow for deleting pages from a PDF or combining pages from other PDFs?

so in a nutshell, PDF editing functionality? (deleting/adding pages, adding/removing text, modifying contents of PDF etc.)

We don’t even need full editing functionality. We have some large documentation PDF’s and often like to just send a few pages to customers so it would be nice to be able to pull out a few pages or delete a few pages that aren’t relevant for what we want to send. Also, we commonly have to merge multiple PDFs into a single file.
Well you want those select functions, i don't want them but instead want to edit PDF texts, maybe someone else wants an entirely different thing, so a full PDF editing functionality better be implemented
As @MarinM has already mentioned, the 'Undo' button or support for Ctrl+Z is much much needed. I think after that it would be comfortable to use Edge as my main annotation tool.

@posinha thank you for your reply, I'm currently on Version 90.0.810.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit), I haven't tried printing PDFs like that for a bit but I will try and report back if I find these issues again!