Announcing a new way to paste URLs, Link format!

Microsoft

Recently, we wanted to dig into how users feel about copying and pasting a URL from their browser. We looked to understand what they do when they copy and paste URLs, as well as the pain points they experience.

What did we find?

We found that one has to regularly edit the URL they copy to make them understandable for sharing or remove seemingly extra parameters. This led us to what we call Link format, an easily readable URL that also preserves the details of the URL.

We also learned that nearly everyone, at one point, wants the full, plain-text URL exactly as it was copied. When one first copies a URL, it’s not always obvious that the full text is needed. Other times, it’s desired to have both a readable format and the plain-text version.

With both in mind, we are excited to not only introduce Link format for URLs but also options in the context menu that lets you paste both styles of URL regardless of your default paste setting!

How can you use it?

Starting this week, you should see Link format available on Windows devices running the Canary channel of Microsoft Edge. When you copy from the address bar and right-click to paste, you will see that Paste now has a fly-out menu and that plain-text URL pasting is now Ctrl+Shift+V.

Jump list options from right-click, hovering over "Paste as" to show new options for pasting, "Plain text", "Link (Default)", and "Change default".Jump list options from right-click, hovering over "Paste as" to show new options for pasting, "Plain text", "Link (Default)", and "Change default".

If you want to revert this change, you can head to edge://settings/shareCopyPaste (or navigate through the menu > Settings > Share, Copy & Paste) and select Plain text as the default for your URLs. Once you do that, Ctrl+V will be for the plain-text URL.

Screenshot of the settings page for edge://settings/shareCopyPasteScreenshot of the settings page for edge://settings/shareCopyPaste

What’s next?

Right now, this feature is only available on Windows devices. We are working on bringing this to Mac. Additionally, it’s important to note that this only works for URLs copied from the address bar at this time. Link format support will be available for in-page links soon.

There’s a few things we’re aware of, too, and are working on getting these resolved:

• When Link format is default, pasting into a LinkedIn post is resulting only in the title appearing without a hyperlink. We’re working closely with the LinkedIn team to address this.
  • When Link format is default, pasting into a Word document using Word Online is resulting only in the title appearing without a hyperlink. We’re working closely with the Word team to address this.
  • In general, some sites or web apps may introduce their own formatting on paste. We want to know when you notice this, so please submit feedback letting us know what you’re seeing (Alt+Shift+I or menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback).

In addition to the above, we want to know if you see encounter any issues with this feature! If you have it set to Link format as the default and notice anything amiss while pasting, let us know via the browser so that the team can dig into what might be happening.

Thanks!

- The Microsoft Edge Team

87 Replies

Thanks, @rjpaulsen! Your suggestion is noted.

We are glad to hear this is working well for you! Thanks for the feedback, @HotCakeX!
Thanks, Rich. Good suggestion around the Share UI and accruing the benefits of the Link Format to Share as well. We've discussed that as well and it's good to know that you are interested in that.

@JaredB81 My suggestion is that this copy HTML similar to what you see when you share to Mail which does include the image and description from the OG elements.

I want to make a point I think is significant.  The share UI is extensible and there is no reason there should be only one option for copying.  Independent of the share, copy, paste setting, the share UI can expose separate options to copy the URL only, the URL and title, and the full image, title, description, and URL that is shared with Mail or OneNote.  In other words, there can be three share targets that place different data on the clipboard.  I have a use for all three.  For example, when pasting a link into an email message, I usually want the URL only but sometimes want the "link format".  It is easier to use the share charm in the non-default case then to change Edge settings, copy, then change the setting back.  When I want to share an interesting article with someone, I use the share to Mail though don't like because I want to use Outlook.  In this case I would select to have the very rich format received by Mail and Outlook and paste this myself into Outlook.

Thank you for the detailed examples, @rshupak.

Understood and noted for consideration in the future.

I am noting that it's been understood and noted. For the future.

@JaredB81 One more thing.  I think you should reconsider the terms "Link" and "Plain text" to distinguish between these two options.  What Edge now calls "Plain text" is called Link elsewhere all over Edge.  Some, such as Copy image link, have been updated to work with this feature which makes it confusing because the UI uses the term link even when what will be copied is what the setting calls plain text and explicitly not what the feature calls link.  Other usage has long been inconsistent in Anaheim.  What IE, and I suspect Spartan which I no longer have, called Save target as..., Anaheim uses Save link as which beyond the missing ellipsis, doesn't save a link.

In regard to an earlier discussion, the clipboard format "Titled Hyperlink Format" is a duplicate of the HTML clipboard format.  The Link Preview Format is JSON with the title, URL, and some overhead.  What this latter does not contain are the OG properties, specifically image and description, that are shared via the share charm.

My suggestion is to use a term like "Rich Links" so that you can use the generic term "Link" for all cases.  If you were to expose the format used via the share charm which includes a preview image and description, I would suggest "Preview Links".  The clipboard format name "Titled Hyperlink Format" suggests the name "Titled Links" which is OK though I don't like it as much but it is less ambiguous by far than "Rich Links".

Thanks again, @rshupak, this time for the head's-up about ambiguous use of the word, "Link".  I'll file that as a bug specifically. 

Thanks also for the name suggestions!

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to announce that in the Canary and Dev channels, copying links within the contents of the web page now supports the Link format, much like copying URLs from the Address Bar has since Missy's original post. 

Please give copying and pasting links within a page a try and send us your feedback. 

On behalf of the team working to simplify pasting of links, thank you in advance for your feedback on in-page links!

Jared

@JaredB81 One bug I reported via feedback is when you right click on Articles above and copy link.

rshupak_0-1601534689411.png

This produces Articles (microsoft.com).  Where is the " (microsoft.com)" text coming from?  Click on the Microsoft Edge Insider link that is adjacent and it produces Microsoft Edge Insider without the extra text.

The the Link Preview Format clipboard data JSON has a different title still.

{"description":"","domain":"microsoft.com","favicon_url":"https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/html/assets/favicon2.ico",
"image_url":"https://cdn.techcommunity.microsoft.com/lithium/TechCommunity-DefaultHero-2.png","preferred_format":...
tml;content=titled-hyperlink","title":"Articles - Microsoft Tech Community","type":"website","url":"https://techcommunit
y.microsoft.com/t5/articles/bd-p/EdgeInsiderAnnouncements"}

Thank you, @rshupak.  As always, you have a very keen eye.  We append the domain when it isn't included in the title text so that it's clear what the content is related to.

Do you have a preference between the text in your example (with the appended domain) vs. the Link text as specified in the Link Preview Format clipboard data's JSON payload?  

Thanks,
Jared

The title in the JSON is the title I would see if I navigated to that page and copied from the address bar.  I do not see any network traffic in the dev tools and haven't looked to watch network traffic from my PC but I wonder if you are calling an online service which takes a URL and returns that info.  I know Bing has such a service which some Microsoft products and services use.  Do you know?

I do not like the domain being added.  This breaks consistency that when I copy a link from one document to another that it isn't copied as I see it.  Compare this to the same scenario when copying a link in Word or an Outlook email.  Right click on a link, pick Copy hyperlink, then paste.  It matches.  

This also creates silly cases such as when you visit https://www.bankofamerica.com/ and copy from the address bar.  The title in the HTML format is "Bank of America - Banking, Credit Cards, Loans and Merrill Investing (bankofamerica.com)" because you don't recognize "Bank of America" as "bankofamerica".  You could fix this but it isn't easy to consider all cases of how names map.  Bank Of America also uses "bofa.com".  Citibank uses citibank.com and citi.com and others.  Next, consider IRIs like https://www.смарт-скиллс.рф.  The title copied here is "Всероссийские конкурсы: Институт SmartSkills - Главная страница (xn----7sbzhgab7ageef.xn--p1ai)".  Do you think that the punycode domain name is useful?  Do you look for either the IDN or the punycode in the title?

Editing to add one more case I forgot to mention.  In some cases the domain name doesn't quite match the localized version of the name.  Consider https://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft which is titled as "Microsoft – Vikipedija (wikipedia.org)" because the localized Vikipedija doesn't match Wikipedia.

@JaredB81 I should point out that these issues manifest with localized Microsoft.com.  As an example, https://account.microsoft.com/privacy/?lang=ru-RU has the title "Учетная запись Майкрософт | Конфиденциальность (microsoft.com)" because they transliterated Microsoft into Cyrillic.  I expect that this will be a very common issue with non-Latin language pages hosted on sites that use non-IDN domain names.  

@JaredB81 Here is another bug.  It takes some setup to get to a case I know fails.  Open https://www.bing.com, type into the search box "История Киева." with a trailing period.  Then select all but the period.  This is necessary to work around another Edge bug.  Right click on the selection and pick Search the sidebar for "История Киева".  In the sidebar, click on IMAGES to display this pivot.  Right click on the following image and pick Copy image link.

rshupak_0-1602042115995.jpeg

The clipboard will contain the following formats.  The Cxxx values will likely vary.  The bug is that the last three are all empty zero terminated strings, i.e. a single byte of zero.  I have not tested to see if this is a problem because the image is a data URL or because the data URL is very long (12,056 characters) and some part of the code to generate the other formats has a URL length limit (e.g. INTERNET_MAX_URL_LENGTH) and silently fails while failing to suppress adding the failed result on the clipboard.

000D Unicode Text
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text
C0DA HTML Format
C2C1 Link Preview Format
C2C2 Titled Hyperlink Format

I sis submit this via the feedback mechanism.  In my feedback I questioned whether Copy image link should be exposed at all for data URL encoded images as Copy image is more appropriate I would think.

@JaredB81 An issue with favorites and the new functionality.  This is with canary build 666.

When I right click on a favorite in the favorites bar and select Copy, it honors the link setting and will generate the following clipboard formats

C0C6 HTML Format
C0D2 UniformResourceLocatorW
000D Unicode Text
C31E chromium/x-bookmark-entries
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

When I right click on a favorite in edge://favorites or the new pinned favorites sidebar and click Copy link (note the different name and icon), it doesn't honor the setting and only generates the following formats.

000D Unicode Text
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

In canary 666, right clicking on the favorites menu, from the address bar icon, and selecting Copy link only generates the limited formats.  In dev build 658, which doesn't have the new favorites menu and pinned sidebar, right clicking offers Copy not Copy link and it generates the richer set of formats honoring the link format setting.

@rshupak thank you as always!  I was on vacation last week and am still catching up.

When I right-click on the address bar in Canary today (671), I see "Copy" not "Copy link" and the appropriate formats get added to the clipboard when copying. 

Can you confirm that you observe the expected behavior in Canary build 671 (or later if you see this post in the next few days)?

Thank you!

@JaredB81 The address bar works in 672 for me.  Favorites are still broken but functionality and inconsistent UI.

Favorite in favorite bar: Menu item named "Copy".  The following formats generated:

C0C2 HTML Format
C0CE UniformResourceLocatorW
000D Unicode Text
C2D5 chromium/x-bookmark-entries
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

Favorite in menu when clicking on a folder in the favorites bar.  Menu item named "Copy".  The following formats generated:

C0C2 HTML Format
C0CE UniformResourceLocatorW
000D Unicode Text
C2D5 chromium/x-bookmark-entries
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

Favorite in menu displayed when clicking favorites button in address bar.  Menu item named "Copy link".  The following formats generated:

000D Unicode Text
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

Favorite in new favorites sidebar pinned from favorites button in address bar.  Menu item named "Copy link".  The following formats generated:

000D Unicode Text
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

Favorite in edge://favorites/.  Menu item named "Copy link".  The following formats generated: 

000D Unicode Text
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text

There is an address bar bug I did not mention.  You can repro by visiting https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-edge-insider/ct-p/MicrosoftEdgeInsider.  This issue relates to the behavior when selecting a subset of the address bar content.  If the selection does not start at the left, only plain text is copied.  This is fine.  When you select from the left and the selection does not extend to the end of the host name, again, it is text only.  To repro the problem, copy exactly "https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/".  This will generate the following formats

000D Unicode Text
0010 Locale
0001 Text
0007 OEM Text
C0C2 HTML Format
C2C7 Link Preview Format
C2B9 Titled Hyperlink Format

The Link Preview Format content is the following, formatted for clarity

{
"description": "",
"domain": "microsoft.com",
"favicon_url": "https://c.s-microsoft.com/favicon.ico?v2",
"image_url": "https://cdn.techcommunity.microsoft.com/lithium/TechCommunity-DefaultHero-2.png",
"preferred_format": "text/html;content=titled-hyperlink",
"title": "Home - Microsoft Tech Community",
"type": "website",
"url": "https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/"
}

The Titled Hyperlink Format content is the following which may be corrupted by this site.

Version:0.9
StartHTML:0000000105
EndHTML:0000000259
StartFragment:0000000141
EndFragment:0000000223
<html>
<body>
<!--StartFragment--><a href="https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/">Home - Microsoft Tech Community</a><!--EndFragment-->
</body>
</html>

The problem is that the HTML Format content is a single byte of 0x00.  I must admit this surprises me since I have always seen HTML Format and Titled Hyperlink Format as identical.  If always so, why would generation of one work and the other not.  If not always identical, how do they differ?

Rich

Absolutely love this feature. Why didn't anybody think of this before!

@MissyQ I'm not loving this feature.

Too many times I want to paste the actual URL, but I cannot. One example is when pasting a URL from Edge into MS Teams. I think I'd prefer the option to "Copy as Formatted Link" and "Copy as Text". This would help when pasting into something that does not support "Paste as Text".

It would be nice if there were additional Share --> "Copy Link" options. One to copy the formatted URL and one to copy the content that ends up the email body when sharing via Outlook.

I realize there is a way to disable this feature, so I'm not complaining. Just giving feedback. Thanks!

rjpaulsen_0-1603290400772.png

@rjpaulsen in MS Teams and some other apps I discovered that you can use the Control + Shift + V which pastes as the plaintext and so you get the raw URL, same if you copy some other formatted text from say MS Word, hopefully that helps you as well :)