Unlock Access database

Copper Contributor

Hello. This may be a silly question, but how do you unlock Access databases? Each time I open a database, in my file explorer there is a second file that opens and has the extension .laccdb. I cannot complete some of my assignments for school because of this. 

I hit a wrong button about a month ago, which started all of this. The laptop is my personal laptop, and I am not sharing any files.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, please.

10 Replies
Each time an Access file is opened normally, a lock file with suffix .laccdb is created.
It SHOULD be deleted automatically when the database is closed.
Are you saying that doesn't happen?
No, it does delete after I close the DB. But when I try to do certain things, like create a backup of the file, I get a message that the file is open elsewhere so I cannot save. I am the only one on my computer, and the only one with access to Access.
Is it possible to get rid of the lock that I mistakenly put on my Access?

@Minnierose 

Ah, that's clearer. This .lccdb file has nothing to do with the problem itself, then. 

When you say you want to "create a back up of the file", are you referring to the .accdb itself? Or something else?

Also, HOW do you go about creating that backup? Step by step is better.

@George Hepworth 

I cannot reply with any certainty, as I am only learning Access. We were in class and trying to save a backup of the 2002-2003 version, so we could "send" it to someone who has a later model of Access. When I finish the steps (going into the File tab, click on "save as", choose the Access 2002-2003 Database), and hit Save As, a message comes up telling me that the file is in use on my computer, so I cannot save it. It happens at other times as well, when trying to save different things. This afternoon it happened when I was trying to create a look-up list in one of the fields. There were no other versions of the file open, but I was getting a message that there was.

I would really like to take the lock off Access. It was a mistake that I put it on (I still have no idea what button I hit to start it) but I would like it gone. Can anyone help me with this, please?

@Minnierose 

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to trouble-shoot problems such as this on a computer we can't see.

The more details you can provide (the more specifically you can describe factors) the more likely we'll be to be able to offer useful suggestions.

So some things we'd need to explore.

What version are YOU using here to save to the Access 2002-2003 version? The exact error message said that the Access file itself was in use? Is this the same one you have open at that moment? Are you trying to save over the top of an existing mdb file? If so, is it open?

Screenshots go a long way towards helping us see and understand the situation. 

When I open an access file, there is a second file that opens up under it in File Explorer, with the extension .laccdb. This had never happened to me, until about a month ago. How do I go about getting rid of that, please? I know it deletes after I close the file, and I know it means the file is locked, but, please, how do I unlock it? I have tried to paste a screen shot of it here, but it will not paste.

@Minnierose 

Corrected....

Yes, the .lccdb is part of the standard process of using an Access relational database applications. It is ALWAYS created when an accdb is opened in shared mode. Normally you do open the accdb shared, unless you specifically open it in exclusive mode. It was probably there before, even if you hadn't noticed it until recently. I suppose that, if you had only opened it in exclusive mode, it wouldn't have created the .lccdb, but that's going to be a deliberate choice.

You WANT it to be created. Please do not try to delete it manually as that can result in serious problems, even corruption of the accdb.

It won't be part of the problem you noted, unless you meant to save IT (the lccdb) under a new name, in which case that's a problem to be avoided and shouldn't be attempted. 

I'm still not clear on what the actual problem would be, though. You said you tried to save the accdb as an Access 2002-2003 mdb, and the error message was that the file was in use. I can't replicate that, although OTHER errors are possible. That's why I want to see the screenshots for clues as to what else might be going wrong in that save process.

GeorgeHepworth_0-1651204135648.png

Thank you for the information, that does help me. I still have had problems with the file saying it is still open, even this morning while completing my final Access exam. When trying to rename my folder the message came up that there was a file open so I could not rename it until file was closed. I double checked my files, there was nothing open. I closed out of everything and tried it again and I was still not allowed. I did not have the time to take screen shots during the exam, but I will try to recreate this afternoon.
Check for running applications in Task Manager including both Apps and Background Processes