Newby trying to total all the Yes's

Copper Contributor

HI. I am not an Access user and know very little about it.   I do use one Access 2007 database as one part of my job.  I now need to create a report from it.  I have figured out how to make the report except for one little detail needed to finish it up.  This is the scenario- this report is made up of six fields.  One of the fields is "Type".  I have grouped the report by the "Type" field and have subtotals at the end of each group and a grand total at the end of the report.  I have another field, "Approval", with Yes or No as the only options in that field.  The report is not grouped by yes or no in this field.  I need to have the report calculate the number of Yes's throughout the entire report and put that total down at the bottom of the report.  Is there a way I can accomplish this?  Any help will need to be pretty step by step.  Thanks!

5 Replies

Hi,

Insert a new text box in the section where you want to see the sum (e.g. in the report footer) and use this expression in the property ControlSource of the text box:

=Abs(Sum([Approval]))

In Access Yes is saved as -1, No = 0. Therefore the expression just sums up the values and makes the sum positive with the Abs() function.

Servus
Karl
Access Bug Trackers
Access News
Access DevCon

or simply use:

=Sum([Approval] * -1)

Hi Arnel,

1. I would only ever convert the sum once, not each individual number.

2. I sometimes use the even simpler -Sum(xyz) in projects where I'm sure it will remain in Access completely and forever. In public forums, I got out of the habit of giving this "-" advice, so that when people (OPs or readers) will eventually use another backend like SQL Server, things will still work for them. Hence the universal Abs().

Servus
Karl

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

@Karl Donaubauer 

Thanks for your ideas, but when I type in either of those formulas I get an error- "Data type mismatch in criteria expression".  I included a couple of screen shots showing what a portion of the report and the design screens look like.  I tried putting your formula in the text box next to "total approved" where it currently says "unbound". Have I done something wrong?

garprob_1-1675376885061.png

garprob_0-1675376379448.png

it seems your Approval field is Short Text:

=Sum(([Approval] & "" = "Yes") * -1)