Error 3048 - cannot open any more databases - surprising

Copper Contributor

Error 3048 started one day, after NO CODE CHANGES for several months!

Someone suggested to look at all .OpenRecordSets and verify that there is a "Close" for each "Open".

I have done so, and the problem persists.

I start the application and only 15-20 OpenRecordSet runs go by before the error occurs.

Is there a way to look at Access TableIDs along the way to help figure out what is going on?

Thank you.

18 Replies

Hi,

Please have a look at the several already existing discussions about these problems here before you start a new one. Especially read this thread.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

I looked around, but some of the other topics were, I thought, different enough to start another topic. Thank you.

This same error started for me today too, after a MS Office update applied to my laptop. I have just one MS Access DB open with a split-end. It manages to load, but can't do anything without this error popping up. The project is decades old, and I've keep very precise in closing recordsets and then setting them to null once done with them.

Microsoft have updated something, and screwed up part of MS Access.

The thread linked by Karl Donaubauer had solutions to this problem that worked for me; MS update has caused the issue. Read that thread for updates/fixes/commentary.

I am having the same error.  It is clearly from the latest Access update.  I have a machine running the old version that has not yet updated and this error does not happen.  We need clear instructions from Access if this is being fixed or what steps we have to take to work around this problem.

Hi,

If you are the Todd Haugen I met in Redmond some years ago, then I have to reply directly: ;)

Yes, the Access team has announced a fix. Until then the workaround to put the database in a trusted location is recommended: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/b2dce32b-b8b0-41f1-ba40-7876e524d9da

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

These settings fixed the 'Error 3048: Cannot open any more databases' bug for me:

ACCESS SETTINGS

Access > Options > Trust Center > Trusted Locations > Trust Center settings > Trusted locations > Access folder location(s)

WINDOWS SETTINGS

Settings > Windows security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Real time protection > Off

Settings > Windows security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Exclusions > Add or remove exclusions > Access folder location(s)

@Karl Donaubaueryes, same Todd Haugen.  Sadly I am no longer with Access, it was my passion but Microsoft had different ideas for me...  Hope all is well with you!

@Vexen_C

I have the same problem. My ACCDB works fine on other versions of Office and only had this error less than a week ago. 

Microsoft is updating something and causing the error...

Karl provided a link to the MS site with an explanation of both the problem and the workaround.

@GreatDaneMusic825 

I had a similar problem with a fairly large application in MS Access. I am running Office 2016 and suddenly I started to get the 3048 error after the last update. I had not made any changes to the program. I am anxiously awaiting for an update and fix from Microsoft while my business languishes.

Hi,

> I am anxiously awaiting for an update and fix from Microsoft while my business languishes.

If nothing goes wrong, we can expect a fix very soon.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

The bug gets fixed by today's Office update to build 14827.20192.

It usually takes 1-2 days for the updates to be rolled out automatically everywhere. But you can request it actively and immediately with "Update now" in Access.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

@Karl Donaubauer 

Placing Access file into trusted location fixed the issue for us.

Thank you.

Indeed, Il confirm that I'm facing the same issue that seems to be due to an update.
Thanks, but when will this New release be installed on my PC?

@francoisdumortier 

It's under your control:

Go to File-->Account

GeorgeHepworth_0-1644614213976.png

@inlinefilters i am unable to find the windows path specified in windows 11 ?

Hi, you're right, and the issue is already fixed. Thanks a lot!