SOLVED

Access doesn't close properly. A remaining background process can only be terminated in task manager

Copper Contributor

Since yesterday I noticed that in all my Access databases there is a problem when I close them.

When I close a database, it leaves a background process that can only be terminated in Task Manager. Without this, it is not possible to (re)open databases!

I have already checked some possible causes. It also concerns databases that I have not changed at all in recent months and that worked fine until this week. Therefore, I have to assume that it is a bug in an automatic update!

It seems that it has to do with a malfunction in the deallocation of allocated memory in VBA source code.

Did anyone experience the same problem? Are there already fixes or solutions available?

161 Replies

Thank you Gert for your code "addTrustedLocation". It looks like it disappeared here. But I catched it anyway. This will help me a great deal :)
A shame that others can not benefit from it now.

- 1 hour later -
Your post + VBA code has re-appeared !
NB : in the last msgbox call there should be "& Err &" instead of "& Err&"

It is a bug. Change the file name without "_", or with a short file name (without any special characters. @Florian1290 

> Or will Microsoft come with a repair update soon? 

Yes, if nothing goes wrong, we can expect that very soon.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

Found Office update available this morning (Eastern US), seems to have fixed this issue for me. Here's hoping. My current version shows 2201 (14827.20192).

Hi,

> Found Office update available this morning (Eastern US), seems to have fixed this issue for me. Here's hoping. My current version shows 2201 (14827.20192).

Great, that's how it should be. You're so early in the update cycle in Eastern US that it's still unofficial according to the documentation on the MSFT web pages (from Western US). ;)

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

best response confirmed by Florian1290 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, here also the update available (Europe). Tested en fix the problem. Trusted Location not necessary any more. But I highly recommend it. Otherwise you will have problem starting from April. MS is blocking marcos. Check https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-blog/helping-users-stay-safe-blocking-internet-...

@Florian1290 Looks like the issue is resolved!!! I just downloaded Build 14827.20192 and Access is once again functioning correctly. I just hate it when they break the intrinsic functionality of this app. I hope they realize how many people use and rely on this app and are more careful to not break it with their updates. I have over 50 critical apps in my organization and it is quite traumatic when this happens.

It's an established unofficial rumor that MS was considering to dump Access, or rather wanted to replace it with more profitable programs. But there are simply too many developers using this great tool.
Thank you very much this fix the problem.. but imagine we have to this every single pc and have 500pc

Hi,

@CARKIS51 wrote:
It's an established unofficial rumor that MS was considering to dump Access, or rather wanted to replace it with more profitable programs. But there are simply too many developers using this great tool.

Nice "established unofficial rumor", but nothing more than that.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

@Karl Donaubauer I added the folder containing the accdb and that solved the issue.

"established unofficial rumor" is itself a nonsense statement.
If you understood the meanings of the words "established" and "unofficial", you'd know that.
Agreed. An awful choice of words. I meant to say that the rumor seems (to me) pretty much believed.
Don't the updates happen automatically? They seem to occur on a weekly basis, do you have to do a manual update all the time??

Hi,

They happen automatically but as Microsoft has to send them out to many millions of customers they must deliver it gradually. So, it usually takes 1-2 days for the updates to be rolled out everywhere. That's why I inform people bitten by the bug that they can request it actively and immediately with "Update now" in Access.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

I use the phrase 'urban myth' to describe the endless false stories about MS planning to scrap Access. They have been circulating since Access 1.0 was released back in 1992

@Florian1290 
I have same issue, and partially resolved.  Any chance you are using an AutoExec Macro that is opening a form.  I have found that when the AutoExec macro that loads a form it caused me issues.   I moved the form opening to the access settings level and I am able to open and reopen databases again.  The background process does not go away, but the file locks do.  Hope this helps while MS fixes this critical bug.

@Wesport Read the contributions here and the Microsoft support article. The bug has been fixed for two days.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

@Karl Donaubauer Thank you Karl!  Did not realize that.  Much appreciated.