Removing UWP apps from the 1709 Build

Copper Contributor
Originally we were going with LTSB but decided to add more flexibility to our image by going with CB/CBB but the apps are annoying and reinforces all the reasons we started off with LTSB. There must be some easier ways to remove Games, XBOX and other apps/features that we don not want our end users to see or access?
14 Replies

Really the best way I have found is to mount the wim and remove those packages manually. No its not great but it works the best. Once you have it documented, it doesn't take too long. 

For customers which use Intune, I setup the business store, added the apps you want to remove to this business storen and have them synced to Intune.
In Intune assign the apps with status remove and soon after enrolling in Intune, Intune will remove the apps.

I created a group policy preference for the Computer

Preferences>Windows Settings > Folders > and delete

C:\Windows\SystemApps\ContactSupport_cw5n1h2txyewy

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy

etc....

When needed we typically use a PowerShell script during the build and capture task sequence that removes all apps and on-demand features except the ones we explicitly specify. I like this script from Nickolaj: http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2016/03/01/remove-built-in-apps-when-creating-a-windows-10-reference-imag...

Just be aware about removing is one thing, putting stuff back at a later time may be impossible without re-imaging the machine.

Hello and greetings from Portugal!

For me, the best way to completely get rid of the apps and make sure they don't appear again is by running a powershell script during custom image creation and removing both app and provisioned package.

Here some examples for Windows 10 Enterprise:

#Microsoft Bing Weather
  Remove-AppxPackage -Package Microsoft.BingWeather_4.21.2492.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Out-Null
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -PackageName Microsoft.BingWeather_4.21.2492.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe -Online | Out-Null

#Microsoft Tips (Get Started)
  Remove-AppxPackage -Package Microsoft.Getstarted_5.11.1641.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Out-Null
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -PackageName Microsoft.Getstarted_5.11.1641.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe -Online | Out-Null

#Microsoft Mail and Calendar
  Remove-AppxPackage -Package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_2015.8241.41275.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Out-Null
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -PackageName microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_2015.8241.41275.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe -Online | Out-Null

#Microsoft Messaging
  Remove-AppxPackage -Package Microsoft.Messaging_2017.815.2052.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Out-Null
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -PackageName Microsoft.Messaging_2017.815.2052.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe -Online | Out-Null

#Microsoft Office Hub (Get Office)
  Remove-AppxPackage -Package Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_2017.715.118.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Out-Null
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -PackageName Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_2017.715.118.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe -Online | Out-Null

#Microsoft Office OneNote
  Remove-AppxPackage -Package Microsoft.Office.OneNote_2015.8366.57611.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe | Out-Null
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -PackageName Microsoft.Office.OneNote_2015.8366.57611.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe -Online | Out-Null
Its to bad that Windows MDM setting under https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/device-restrictions-windows-10#app-store "Store originated app launch - Used to disable all apps that were pre-installed on the device, or downloaded from the Microsoft Store" blocks more than pre-installed. I am right now trying to see if enforcing Private Store only will de-provision pre-installed using "Use private store only" -Neil

Hi, were you able to use this script you referenced in your comment on Windows 10 1709?

Hi there,

Yep, had no problems but it's true that from 1511 to 1709 I needed to make some adjustments, basically because some apps were not on 1709.

But are you having issues?

Best Regards,

Diogo Sousa

Does anyone have a definitive list of what is required in the image?  These are the four i'm aware of:

1. Windows Store

2. Store Purchase App

3. OneConnect

4. Xbox Identity Provider

Prior to 1709 (1607, never messed much with 1703), I was able to remove all but Store and the Store Purchase app.  But turns out, with 1709, the store and at least Photos won't launch if 3 and 4 are not retained.  I'm looking to add to the mandatory requirements before thousands of machines are deployed.  Anyone have that?  Should I ask Microsoft?

Regards,

LvilleSystemsJockey

Here is a good link of apps that can be remove or not removed: https://virtualfeller.com/2017/04/19/optimize-vdi-windows-10-default-apps-original-anniversary-and-c... 

That being said, if you should is another story. There is no way of getting the apps back in the same state as they where prior to removing them. Sure, a user can still installed them from the store (assuming you keep that possibility), but you as an admin can't provisioning them back to the system. The only way is the re-image the machine.

Thank you for this, Johan.  Unfortunately, that list says we can remove at least one of the 2 apps that broke launching the store and the photo app.  Creating a new Install.Wim/Custom.Wim, leaving OneConnect and XboxIdentityProvider installed , and the store and photo apps came back alive.  Apparently removing those removed some .net runtimes.  (either 1.3 and 1.4, or 1.2 and 1.3, I can't recall which 2 versions and can't for the life of me find the link that got me to the solution.  I will post if I find it).

I'm am starting to consider advising folks to keep all the apps.  It's tempting remove some for the improved login speeds.  However, I know we won't be able to do this in a servicing model, so maybe I should just get used to it and accept that fact that office hub and get skype are a part of the enterprise.  I also see in your link that the Office Hub now contains management capabilities.  Also hearing that the built in OneNote will be THE ONLY OneNote before too long.

Again, thanks for responding providing your advice, as well as everything else you do.

-LvilleSystemsJockey

Hello

I had the same with 1709 until reading this, thanks a lot!

Keeping 3 and 4 indeed brings back store and photos. But removing 3 and 4 on 1703 or even on 1803 seems to be no problem. Is there any documentation on MS about this?

br

Heinz

So with SCCM you possibly have a WSUS in place.

I figured that the cmdlet "Get-WindowsCapability -online" symply fails and therefore "Quickassist" and "ContactSupport" can't be removedin 1709.

Glad it helped. I haven't found any supporting documentation on this. I inform my clients that it isn't recommended to remove these apps, however most folks aren't going to be okay with XBOX apps on their corporate PCs. I have some guidelines (mentioned earlier) and Johan pointed us to a link that also has some guidelines (although didn't work for 1709, hence the post). We know things we have been removing we will soon not be able to remove. OneNote and the OfficeHub are a couple of them. OneNote will soon be out of the O365 suite and OfficeHub will soon play an important role for O365, so we need to keep an eye out for these future integrations that will play a vital role to windows and the functioning of "office" products.