Finally...Microsoft Planner support has been added to Flow

MVP

Microsoft Planner support in Flow is finally here: https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/planner-community-and-licenses/ A big applause to the Flow Team!!

18 Replies

Thanks for posting @Juan Carlos González Martín. Yes, its the next big mile stone for Planner adoption. Also it seems Microsoft is working on the Planner limitations which I have posted lasted month. (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner/Planner-Limitations/m-p/61650#M705). Now we can assign up to 300 tasks per user. SO all positive things will ease Planner adoption :)   

This is great news! Something I know a lot of customers have been waiting for.

I've had a go exploring the features. It looks good. Are we ever likely to see support in the reverse direction. e.g. When I create a Planner task, create a Wunderlist/Outlook task?
Not sure when it will be. Lets hope for the best!

Hi Philemon,

I can certainly confirm that the way you asked for (Planner creates a task in Outlook) already is a working feature today.

However, it is not working with Wunderlist or the new successor of Wunderlist, the Microsoft To-Do App.

In addition, it just creates tasks, but no calendar entries. This is still something to be done manually once you created a new card in Planner which in itself automatically creates a task in Outlook. It is up to you then to drag this automatically created task to a certain date and time, even if this information is already part of the information in your planner card (e.g. due date)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Joachim

Hi @Joachim Schirra, can you confirm that you manually start a trigger each time when new cards are created in Planner? So it will be created in Outlook.

Are you sure? When I use planner I only get Actions not Triggers see screenshot below planner triggers.png

Hi , @Philemon Burney, there is no automatic triggers avaialble for Planner. So creation of anything from Planner to Outlook / Wunderlist is not possible.

The other way is to manually start the trigger each time to sync the tasks. But I am sure that it will create duplicate tasks to Outlook tasks. Once you triggered the sync process it will fetch all tasks from Planner and create tasks in Outlook. I have not yet tested this case, but logically it should work in this way. I will try this and keep you posted.

@Philemon Burney & @Santhosh Balakrishnan: I have to apologize for the confusion I created. You and Santosh are absolutely right. It does not work. I somehow mixed it with the functionality of the new Microsoft To-Do App, which is indeed able to create tasks in Outlook.

I don´t know why I mixed this with Planner´s (Un-)ability to do this. The only explanation I have is that it was a kind of wishfull thinking that Planner should have the same functionality... ;)

Sorry again for the confusion I created...

Best regards,

Joachim

Adding Flow to create tasks from Outlook into Planner is nice but its a one way flow.  So when you mark a task complete in Planner it doesn't mark it complete in Outlook.  Not sure how this really solves anything.  

Here is the blog which explains how to

• Create Planner task when an email flagged in office 365
  • Create Planner task when email is received from selective user
  • Import task from SharePoint list
  • Create new Planner task when a new card is added in Trello.

http://www.jijitechnologies.com/blogs/office365-planner-available-in-microsoft-flow

Nice post Santhosh...one question off topic: do you have a RSS for your comapny blog so I can add to my feedly RSS :-)?
Here is the another blog post which guides you to create Planner task and Outlook calendar event from Outlook using Flow.
http://www.jijitechnologies.com/blogs/integrate-microsoft-planner-with-outlook-using-flow
Do anyone know when Planner in MS Flow will support triggers? Any ETA?

This is a great feature, but seems it's not mature yet. When I create a Planner task in a flow, the assignee does not receive any notification about this new task. The plan I used has the option to send notifications to the conversation feed enabled, but it only sends notifications when the task is updated or completed, not when it's created.