How to retrieve column header for non empty zero values as rows in a seperate sheet?

Copper Contributor

You are subscribed to this thread

I  have been playing around with a problem for a few days, if you could help me to derive a solution, it would be great!
  Resource 1 Resource 2 Resource 3 Resource 4 Resource 5 Resource 6 Resource 7 Resource 8 Resource 9 Resource 10 Resource 11
Project A 10           13     15  
Project B   29   35             25
Project C     12   16 11 17 18      
This is a table with resource allocation data.

In a separate sheet, if I select the project, the resource names(Resource 1, Resource 2 and the like) should come in rows.The challenge is to have the resource names where ever the cells are non-empty. Resource names with empty values are not needed.

Eg: If I select Project A, Resource 1, Resource 7 and Resource 10 shall come as rows just below the project number.

I have been trying to do with offset but I couldn't reach a conclusion.The data sheet is huge with 500+projects and resource allocation for 50+ resources
A response will be highly appreciated. It would be great if there is a solution without power query, as I don't have any know how on Macros.
3 Replies

Assumption:

1. your table on A1:AY501 in sheet1, where project column on column a, and resource headers from B1 to AY1.
  2. project selection cell on A1 in sheet2
  3. resource listing from A3:B53. Its size matches with total number of resource
  4. resource with empty cell or 0(zero) will not be listed

Steps:

1. In Name manager, create a name, ProjectData
    =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$501
  2. In Name manager, create a name, ResourceData
    =Sheet1!$B$2:$AY$501
  3. In Name manager, create a name, ResourceHeaders
    =Sheet1!$B$1:$AY$1
  4. In Name manager, create a name, SelectedProject
    =Sheet2!$A$1
  5. In Name manager, create a name, ProjectResourceRow
    =INDEX(ResourceData, MATCH(SelectedProject,ProjectData,0),0)
  6. In Name manager, create a name, ColumnList
    =IF(--(ProjectResourceRow<>0)=0,NA(),--(ProjectResourceRow<>0)*(COLUMN(ProjectResourceRow)-COLUMN(Sheet1!$A:$A)))
  7. In Sheet2, cell A3
    =IFERROR(INDEX(ResourceHeaders, 1, AGGREGATE(15,3,ColumnList,ROW(Sheet2!A3)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2))),"")
  8. In Sheet2, cell B3
    =IFERROR(INDEX(ProjectResourceRow, 1, AGGREGATE(15,3,ColumnList,ROW(Sheet2!A3)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2))),"")
  9.  Copy Sheet2!A3:B3, and paste the formula to Sheet2!A4:B53.

Try it.

Hello Willy Lau,

Thank you for the explanation, I could solve my problem using this formula too.

Really overwhelmed by the response I got from this community, and hats off to all your logic, most of the solutions suggested by community members

@Willy Lau wrote:

Assumption:

1. your table on A1:AY501 in sheet1, where project column on column a, and resource headers from B1 to AY1.
  2. project selection cell on A1 in sheet2
  3. resource listing from A3:B53. Its size matches with total number of resource
  4. resource with empty cell or 0(zero) will not be listed

Steps:

1. In Name manager, create a name, ProjectData
    =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$501
  2. In Name manager, create a name, ResourceData
    =Sheet1!$B$2:$AY$501
  3. In Name manager, create a name, ResourceHeaders
    =Sheet1!$B$1:$AY$1
  4. In Name manager, create a name, SelectedProject
    =Sheet2!$A$1
  5. In Name manager, create a name, ProjectResourceRow
    =INDEX(ResourceData, MATCH(SelectedProject,ProjectData,0),0)
  6. In Name manager, create a name, ColumnList
    =IF(--(ProjectResourceRow<>0)=0,NA(),--(ProjectResourceRow<>0)*(COLUMN(ProjectResourceRow)-COLUMN(Sheet1!$A:$A)))
  7. In Sheet2, cell A3
    =IFERROR(INDEX(ResourceHeaders, 1, AGGREGATE(15,3,ColumnList,ROW(Sheet2!A3)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2))),"")
  8. In Sheet2, cell B3
    =IFERROR(INDEX(ProjectResourceRow, 1, AGGREGATE(15,3,ColumnList,ROW(Sheet2!A3)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2))),"")
  9.  Copy Sheet2!A3:B3, and paste the formula to Sheet2!A4:B53.

Try it.

worked for me. Thank you once again.

In fact, I am waiting the community members to update me there is a better solution for this topic (easier to accomplish the goal/better performance).  They are really great.