SOLVED

Stable version of Edge insider browser

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
MVP

Looks like another Stable version of the new Edge browser resurfaced on Microsoft Servers.

this is Not a coincidence, bug nor a mistake, it's intentional. I just don't know why not put it on the front page. 

Anyway, this so called stable version can't be uninstalled.

it neither lists it in Control Panel’s Programs and Features nor allows to uninstall from Apps & Features in the Settings App.

uninstall-button-grayed-out-for-Chromium-Microsoft-Edge-Windows-10

Previously when we installed Edge stable version we were able to uninstall it like any application by visiting Programs and Features in Control Panel or by visiting Settings > Apps & Features, where for Microsoft Edge, Settings app displays Modify and Uninstall options, this is not the case in Windows 10 version 1903 running build 18362.418.

The Hunter mode button of Revo Uninstaller also fails to find and display Microsoft Edge for advanced uninstall. at the moment the only solution seems possible is using the system restore.

35 Replies
Looks like we're getting pretty close to the stable release of edge chromium.
Good but doesn't say why stable release of Edge insider is kind of hidden and why it is not uninstallable when it's downloaded and installed just like any other normal apps.

@gardenvv290 

@gardenvv290 wrote:
Looks like we're getting pretty close to the stable release of edge chromium.

Well sync options (open tabs, History, Extensions) are still unavailable and we've seen that how time consuming it is to enable sync options and make them work bug free.

Favorites syncing, for example, has been enabled sync browser's launch, but still it can't keep a solid connection between different computers and it duplicates the items in the favorites list and sometimes doesn't retain the favorites orders when user changes them, and it's all only related to the sync options...

@HotCakeX Because stable release replace with current Edge and current Edge is OS embedded web browser and  you can't uninstall OS embedded web browser

@Behzad_A 

@Behzad_A wrote:

@HotCakeX Because stable release replace with current Edge and current Edge is OS embedded web browser and  you can't uninstall OS embedded web browser

in that article, only the word "installed" is mentioned but not how it is installed. whether it's done by Windows update or not. if it's done via Windows updates then fine it shouldn't be uninstallable.

and more important than that, why it's even on Microsoft servers if it's not ready to be put on the front download page. obviously only someone from Microsoft can answer that

OS embedded browser can't uninstalled because lot of applications need them to work
OS embedded browsers aren't hidden either

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

I didn't understand what you meant, But if you want simultaneously use old Edge and new Edge(stable), this document can be helpful(and maybe you can uninstall new Edge)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge 

@Behzad_A 

@Behzad_A wrote:

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

I didn't understand what you meant, But if you want simultaneously use old Edge and new Edge(stable), this document can be helpful(and maybe you can uninstall new Edge)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge 

It's okay don't worry,

I've ready that article before since it was linked to the previous one.

you can read my post and comments again. the only way to uninstall it is restore point.

@HotCakeX wrote:

@Behzad_A 

@Behzad_A wrote:

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

It's okay don't worry,

you can read my post and comments again. the only way to uninstall it is restore point.

@HotCakeX  I checked again and i noticed shows Uninstall option in Start Menu for me

@Behzad_A 

Spoiler

@Behzad_A wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

@Behzad_A 

@Behzad_A wrote:

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

It's okay don't worry,

@HotCakeX  I checked again and i noticed shows Uninstall option in Start Menu for me

Look, the main question of my post is directed at developers about why this so called stable release is on Microsoft servers and what's the status of it, whether they want people to download and test it or is it only for their internal use and questions like that.

it's good you have the uninstall option, some people don't like me but I know how to uninstall it with other methods.

@HotCakeX   The so-called "Stable" version is almost certainly a build being used for internal testing, probably an internal build related to deployment testing, as was the last "Stable" version hosted on Microsoft servers.   Because the build seems to embed into Windows 10 and replace Edge (Classic), Microsoft is probably testing with an eye to "replacement deployment" when Microsoft releases Edge Chromium to the public.

The one thing we do know is that the so-called "Stable" build is 78.0.276.14; that is an older build than the current Beta version (78.0.276.17) released some weeks ago, so it is not a "pre-release" build for public testing. 

That's exactly what I thought, but then I wondered if it's only for their internal use, why make it public, unless they want others to use it too

though about the versioning, Stable will always have a lower version number than Beta so considering that it might have been stable, the version number would've been correct

@HotCakeX wrote:

Look, the main question of my post is directed at developers about why this so called stable release is on Microsoft servers and what's the status of it, whether they want people to download and test it or is it only for their internal use and questions like that.

@HotCakeX I don't see any question in main post but after than you said "why it is not uninstallable when it's downloaded and installed just like any other normal apps." and all my answers was about that question

@HotCakeX wrote:

it's good you have the uninstall option, some people don't like me but I know how to uninstall it with other methods.

Yes; You are a genius:smile:

Good luck

@Behzad_A 

Spoiler

@Behzad_A wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

@HotCakeX I don't see any question in main post but after than you said "why it is not uninstallable when it's downloaded and installed just like any other normal apps." and all my answers was about that question

@HotCakeX wrote:

Yes; You are a genius:smile:

Good luck

No i'm just learning,

you too :)

It seems...possibly. I would just stick with the Canary, Dev and/or Beta versions for now into stable is officially released as stable. That's just me though hehe.

@HotCakeX "That's exactly what I thought, but then I wondered if it's only for their internal use, why make it public, unless they want others to use it too ..."

It isn't "public" in any meaningful sense, because (a) the link is not published on the Microsoft Edge Insider site and (b) the link is not published on the Office365 site that hosts the link, either, as far as I know.   The code for the page takes it out of the search path, as well.  It is "public" only in the sense that if you know the URL, you can get to it.  That is no different than the previous "Stable" build, which was also clearly internal.

Good luck with testing it.  I'm not going to install it, because I had to do a Win10 restore after a Dev build got corrupted somehow last week and wouldn't uninstall.  There's only so much pain I'm willing to put up with for the sake of idle curiosity.

Your comments suggest that Microsoft is planning a deployment that substitutes Edge Chromium as the Windows 10 browser if installed, replacing/removing Edge (Classic) and embedding Edge Chromium into Windows.  Did you have a chance to see what happened to IE when "Stable" is installed?  Does it go away?

@tomscharbach 

Spoiler

@tomscharbach wrote:

@HotCakeX "That's exactly what I thought, but then I wondered if it's only for their internal use, why make it public, unless they want others to use it too ..."

It isn't "public" in any meaningful sense, because (a) the link is not published on the Microsoft Edge Insider site and (b) the link is not published on the Office365 site that hosts the link, either, as far as I know.   The code for the page takes it out of the search path, as well.  It is "public" only in the sense that if you know the URL, you can get to it.  That is no different than the previous "Stable" build, which was also clearly internal.

Good luck with testing it.  I'm not going to install it, because I had to do a Win10 restore after a Dev build got corrupted somehow last week and wouldn't uninstall.  There's only so much pain I'm willing to put up with for the sake of idle curiosity.

Your comments suggest that Microsoft is planning a deployment that substitutes Edge Chromium as the Windows 10 browser if installed, replacing/removing Edge (Classic) and embedding Edge Chromium into Windows.  Did you have a chance to see what happened to IE when "Stable" is installed?  Does it go away?

Public means it is accessible by 7 billions people on this planet. that sounds meaningful enough to me.

based on your opinion, that would mean the Edge stable on Microsoft servers are private which is not.

if that was private then companies wouldn't even bother setting up firewalls and passwords, just put their assets and files somewhere on their servers hoping nobody will find the exact link to them.

I'm sure Microsoft Employees have better and more secure ways of accessing personal and corporate files that they need to work on.

I test it in Windows Sandbox so I'm good, that's what Windows Sandbox is for after all.

Yes that's exactly what happens with that version of Edge and that Windows 10 build number. no I couldn't check for IE status at that time. I had already disabled IE using optional features.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution
Thanks for the discussion. We feel this has come to a natural conclusion, so we are closing this off to new comments - it's good to be aware of using content from other sites, but we do understand this was used to help make an argument rather than passing it off as your own content. But it doesn't seem like anything productive will come from further discussion here.

View solution in original post