SOLVED

Need more info about Web Apps Identity Proxy

MVP

There is a flag in Edge insider canary Version 80.0.344.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Web Apps Identity Proxy

Enables installed web apps to be created with modern Windows application identity for better integration with the Windows shell. – Windows

#edge-webapp-identity-proxy

I'm looking for more info about it and its use cases, how it exactly integrates PWAs with Windows shell.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Hey @HotCakeX

This enables PWAs on the upcoming Windows Release (builds greater than 19022) to appear to the Shell more like a native app would. For example, that post I responded to earlier today wanted notifications to say "whatsapp" instead of "microsoft edge", this feature enables that. It will also allow the app to be uninstalled more easily, show up in task-manager under its own name, and some other features. In the future, apps should then get badges and unique jumplists as well. 

We are behind on our documentation of this feature work, my apologies for that.

-John 

Hi @johnjansen 

Thanks for your response,

I'm on Windows 10 insider fast ring build 19030

Edge insider canary Version 80.0.344.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

there are some issues regarding this that i tested and would like to report back

when I enable "Web Apps Identity Proxy" flag and then try to make a PWA out of whatsapp web, I get this error:

22.png

Notice how it is trying to find pwahelper.exe of Edge version 80.0.341 while i am on version 80.0.344

I can't make whatsapp web to show me notifications on my Windows, I only can hear the sound, nothing appears in the action center.

here are my settings:

33.png

11.png

I also enabled this flag:

Enable native notifications.

Enable support for using the native notification toasts and notification center on platforms where these are available. – Mac, Windows

#enable-native-notifications

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Hey @HotCakeX

This enables PWAs on the upcoming Windows Release (builds greater than 19022) to appear to the Shell more like a native app would. For example, that post I responded to earlier today wanted notifications to say "whatsapp" instead of "microsoft edge", this feature enables that. It will also allow the app to be uninstalled more easily, show up in task-manager under its own name, and some other features. In the future, apps should then get badges and unique jumplists as well. 

We are behind on our documentation of this feature work, my apologies for that.

-John 

View solution in original post