SOLVED

Issue with Windows Defender on Windows 11

Brass Contributor

I cannot open any of the settings on windows defender, when i try to it tells me to look for a compatible app in the Microsoft Store. Is this a bug or some other (fixable) issue?

445 Replies
This worked! Thanks!!

@Francis_Powell i have tried running the powershell, and it still tells me access is denied, no one else is logged into the pc, but it would recognize me as the administrator. 

@aderial try running the powershell console as an administrator (right click > run as administrator)

Thank you, I wasn't seeing the run as admin thing before opening powershell

@fggIB Works like charm thanks a ton !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much! Fixed it after hours of trying to figure it out.
This worked with me too on Windows 11! Thank you very much!
I was having this issue on a fresh install of Win 11 on a never used Asus, this fixed it instantly. Thanks!
I had the same problem. I could open Windows Security as my admin user, but not as my unprivileged user. Nothing on this thread fixed it. Here's what worked:

Step 1. While logged into Windows as my regular user, I started PowerShell 7 (x64) in Administrator code and ran these two commands:
Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers

The second command showed a bunch of information, including the InstallLocation.

Step 2. I started PowerShell 7 (x64) in regular mode, so that it ran as my regular user. I entered a command like this, where InstallLocation was the value from Step 1, above:
add-appxpackage -disabledevelopmentmode -register ('InstallLocation\AppxManifest.xml')

This was the exact text of my command; yours may vary:
add-appxpackage -disabledevelopmentmode -register ('C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.22000.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml')

That fixed the problem. By the way, once it was fixed, the command "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers" showed both my usernames in its PackageUserInformation value.

this worked for me !!! thanks !! @fggIB 

This worked for me too. Thank you.
thank you, you save my time
@Asuka_Okami The command worked for me. But I did not have the package installed, so I had to install the package Get-AppxPackage Mircrosoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers . This command installed the package, and then I ran the one in your post, and it opened the Windows Security Window, but I still see a caution icon on it in the system tray in the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop screen.
Open PowerShell (as Administrator) and run this command (without the "")
"Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage" this works thankss
Rebecca, yours was the solution that worked for me. Big thanks!!

@Francis_Powell 

Thanks, this solve the problem for me to.

Note the difference between the cmdlet above and this one.

above:    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft. SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage

this one: Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage

finally, working solution! it seems like most of users have only one account in their system, root, so they fix it with just one command. for those who have an unprivileged account for the sake of the security, it's a two steps solution. I'm glad I found your answer in the last page of this discussion. I think, it should be more available for people.
Awesome!
Thanks, It worked for me.
it bugged me for weeks. best solution!