SOLVED

Distribute Windows patches in a CM 1910 environment

Copper Contributor

We changed our approach to distribute Windows updates in the days of home office. We use CM 1910 and here an IBCM server in the dmz. In addition we configured our client in our VPN boundary group to obtain security patches from microsoft as the prefered way. Is there already an existing report which I can use in order to find out where clients receive their patches from (for management)?  Proving that they use the patches from Microsoft on the internet and not the on prem distribution point.

In addition it seems quick long till clients report back. Is there a way to speed this up?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

6 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Andy0401 Dune here from the MEM team. I think the Client Data Sources dashboard in the ConfigMgr console should help you answer the question you have about how much content is flowing from Microsoft Update! I have attached a screenshot below of where to find this in the console.

ClientDataSources.png

Dune thanks for that. So your expectation would be that "Microsoft Update" would be the leading content source in the scenario I described, correct? If this is still "Distribution Point" something is not configured correctly, right? ;)

@Dune Desormeaux  Can you let us know what SQL view that is hitting to create a custom report off it?

@Andy0401  Correct as long as enough time has passed for data to flow to the server.

@Dawn M Wertz I am not sure about the details but I would start with vSMS_ClientDataSources* :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Andy0401 Dune here from the MEM team. I think the Client Data Sources dashboard in the ConfigMgr console should help you answer the question you have about how much content is flowing from Microsoft Update! I have attached a screenshot below of where to find this in the console.

ClientDataSources.png

View solution in original post