Installing Windows server 2019 in a Server 2012 Domain

Copper Contributor

I want to know if its possible to install Windows server 2019 in a Server 2012 Domain in such a way that i will not have to change the Domain controller.

If possible, what are the requirements and dependencies to accomplish this?

9 Replies

Yes, can do. Nothing special, just join the domain as normal.

Adding in Windows 2019 member servers do not require that you upgrade the functional level of the domain. However, there might be a role or two that will require a 2019 domain controller be present. Also, you can not directly upgrade 2012 to 2019. Below is the Windows Upgrade Center link that gives you all the details and tips.

Https://www.microsoft.com/upgrade enter

@srsysadmin 

No disrespect taken.  It was fat thumb.  Meant to hit 'c' and guess more of thumb on space bar than the letter

@srsysadmin @John Marlin thanks guys, the link you sent and response you gave helped me out.

@srsysadmin @John Marlin   How about adding a 2019 server to a 2012 domain ... which it asks for functional level to be raised which i have. I need to promote the 2019 to a controller as its replacing the 2012 R2 DC and is the only controller. Ive tried it every way possible and still asks for attributes which were meet.

Please start a new thread here or here rather than hijack this old one.

@Dave Patrick  The topic was relevant. if it was that"old" then lock the thread.

How about not troll someone whos is new here..  forget it.

The topic was relevant.

Ha, not the issue, you have no control over this thread so start your own if you wanted any help  here or here