SOLVED

Hyper-V Server 2022

Iron Contributor

Anyone know whether there will be a Hyper-V Server 2022? i.e. the free version which is just for running VMs and has no GUI?

I've seen mentions on forums that this SKU is being dropped, but not found anything official.

Thanks

258 Replies
Thank you for reporting the issue, we are aware and have a fix coming... it is currently slated to be released late this week.

Thank you!
Elden

News from Ignite today:

New benefit for Software Assurance customers

Today we’re introducing a new Azure hybrid benefit for Windows Server customers.

We heard your feedback that you want to adopt Azure Stack HCI, but you’re already locked into a Software Assurance contract for Windows Server Datacenter. That’s why, effective today, Enterprise Agreement customers with Software Assurance can exchange their existing licensed cores of Windows Server Datacenter to get Azure Stack HCI at no additional cost. This includes the right to run unlimited Azure Kubernetes Service and unlimited Windows Server guest workloads on the Azure Stack HCI cluster! See the licensing terms for full details.

This new benefit dramatically reduces the cost of modernizing your Hyper-V environment to Azure Stack HCI.

Activate the benefit directly from the Azure Portal on your cluster’s Configuration page

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-stack-blog/what-s-new-for-azure-arc-and-azure-stack-hci...

@Elden Christensen This is good news, although note that this is for Enterprise Agreements. Are there any plans to extend this to other licensing models such as Open License and Open Value Subscription?

Wonderful, I'm glad you saw this. First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone here for their feedback... as these announcements today are a testament to, we are listening and responding. Software Assurance customers can now take advantage of Azure Stack HCI at no additional cost. Nothing on those licensing channels for today, but we are always listening, discussing, and evolving. Thanks!

@Elden Christensen Speaking only for myself (but likely for many others) I just want to express appreciation to Microsoft for listening.  Even if we all don't get what we want all the time, the very fact that you are here in this thread participating (and therefore MICROSOFT is here, participating) means a lot, and I for one am very grateful.  So, THANK YOU!
Glen

@Elden Christensen I use windows server 2019 hyperv on my home server like dev. Server. Lightweight, I love it! So sad to see windows server 2022 hyperv is not available.. hopefully in next version I wish that you guys bring it back.

@Eelvlee 

"Windows" server 20xx hyperv don't exist.

It's :

Hyperv server 20xx (and it's stop now with 2019 as last version)

Or 

Windows server 20xx with role (feature) hyperv (and continue life as 2022).

Most of us are going on KVM or proxmox.

@Eelvlee To be really clear, the ONLY change is that Microsoft is no longer giving Hyper-V away for free.

If you are using Windows Server there is no change, this is only a discontinuation of the free 'Microsoft Hyper-V Server' product.  I apologize that we have a product that has the Hyper-V feature name in it and the incredible confusion this is causing.  :(

The Hyper-V feature is critical to Microsoft, we are committed, and heavily investing, there is no change to the Hyper-V feature.

@Elden Christensen 

Download Windows Server 2022 and install the Core Edition on a physical machine.

Then add the Hyper-V feature from PowerScript.

You now have a Hyper-V Hypervisor.

(I could post commands if needed)

Yes it's not free as before, but won't you buy at least a one Windows Server 2022 Standard License ?

I also setup a AWS bare metal instance,

installed Windows Server 2022 Core,

remote via RDP and then added the Hyper-V feature

I created a test VM and also took a backup of it:

You can check our video here: https://youtu.be/-mvIZZiBkuk?t=5

It's a Windows Server 2022 Datacenter Core with Hyper-V.

In other words a typical Hypervisor Hyper-V.

We have developed a free community backup software for Hyper-V 2012 and later that runs on the Hyper-V itself, offering a GUI to manage backups.

@synergyusallc 

I expect everyone reading this is aware of that - the issue is licensing: if you are running Linux workloads or using it as a test server with trial licenses, or as a VDI host running client OSs, you don't need any Windows Server licenses with Hyper-V Server whereas you do with Standard / Datacentre, in all cases.

@synergyusallc 
What the hell is your answer ?

It's an publicity ?

@DavidYorkshire 

@DavidYorkshire wrote:

@synergyusallc 

I expect everyone reading this is aware of that - the issue is licensing: if you are running Linux workloads or using it as a test server with trial licenses, or as a VDI host running client OSs, you don't need any Windows Server licenses with Hyper-V Server whereas you do with Standard / Datacentre, in all cases.

Did you mistype? Are you saying if I have a Server 20xx server running Hyper-V role, and then I create a Linux VM under it, that we have to pay for some kind of licensing for it? I don't believe you are correct here, citation? What SKU is that to run a Linux VM on a HV Role'd Server?

Thought my point was fairly clear, and no I'm not saying what you state! To clarify, if you are running Linux VMs you don't need a license for the VMs, but if you are using the standard/datacentre editions of Windows Server as the hypervisor hosting those VMs then you do need a license for that hypervisor (whether running the full desktop install or the Core install - it doesn't make any difference). With Hyper-V Server you don't need a license for the hypervisor.

Given that this whole discussion has been about licensing of the hypervisor...
He is saying if your using a free guest OS like Linux, why should you pay for the hyper-v hypervisor just for that.

The Linux minded person would just say kvm/proxmox or some other opensource flavor. Though I did know some Linux guys that liked the free version of hyper-v for clustering, live migration etc which at the time the Linux flavors didn't have an answer for. Since Microsoft changed plans on the hyper-v only version of windows so did they.
You obviously haven't read many scenarios presented on the last 10 pages here.
But I will repeat one: One of our customers run Hyper-V Server 2019 and regularly swaps various licensed VMs on it. While licensing allows them run the 3rd virtual host only instance of the licensed Servers, installed as you described, it certainly wouldn't pass audit if caught mismatched, i.e. the guests version and key not matching the host(s). Hyper-V Server 2019 alleviated that concern significantly for them.

@DavidYorkshire you dont understand how convenient to use windows server with hyper-v. As a windows user , I can rdp to my server update and restart and use hyperv manager (gui) handle all the resources in the server.

You don't need windows "SERVER" for that.

You can do use windows 10 pro. You can use hyperV platform.

You can RDP to Hyperv server without any GUI on the server.

It's the safer hypervisor with lowest attackable surface, lower resources comsuption.

No useless role. Only Hypervisor.

It's a very bad news and a big lost this SKU was no longer update in futur.
Your response is exactly why MS is making this move.

Move on and prove them wrong. We already are across our entire install base. We're moving to XCP-NG. The discussion is over, it's happening. It is a bad move in many opinions but we don't make the decisions.

Move on
With moving to xcp-ng, as user, what is missed you of hyperv ?
I know there is the surface attack increasing with webbrowser management (I hate that).

But, functionnality, what is lost (from hyperv) ?

@Brian Martin 

I think this is the wrong approach. Do I disagree with the decision to discontinue HV server, Absolutely! For several reasons I've posted in this thread over the past several months. The costs at the end of the day are paid by the client, and it is what it costs. Those costs aren't any different even, just now bundled between software and hardware. As long as you are running one single Windows Server VM, than I don't see any reason whatsoever to not do Server Core w/HV role.

@SpenceFoxtrot you cant tell what i need or not. I am using my mini home server(200W) running 24/7. If I use my main pc(650W), I have to use x3 electricity