SOLVED

b26085 - two kind of Arc Setup Wizard troubles

MVP

Hi everyone,
two different things in one bucket:

1. user reports indidate issues the Arc Deployment using the new wizard might fail 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-my/answers/questions/1660985/azure-arc-configuration-the-given-key-wa...
Error: The given key was not present in the dictonary

2. Download of Arc Connected Machine Agent fails
I have tried to reproduce this today but even failed before the reported step

Error: Could not download AzureConnectedMachineAgent.msi
Has the link or redirector been changed?

Karl_WesterEbbinghaus_0-1714845695182.png
according to process monitor it is trying to reach an address that looks like an attestation address, but no public IP.

Karl_WesterEbbinghaus_1-1714846140370.png

Feedback hub link and more logs
https://aka.ms/AAq9t0m

5 Replies
Hi Karl, we're aware of these bugs and tracking them to be fixed for the May release of the Azure Connected Machine Agent. Thanks!
best response confirmed by Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus (MVP)
Solution

Hi Karl,

to be clear, the 1st bug (“The given key was not present in the dictionary”) is known and will be fixed soon. As a workaround, for now you can install the agent using PowerShell.

the 2nd bug you're mentioning (“Could not download AzureConnectedMachineAgent.msi”) is not expected and worth checking out, if you're still experiencing this issue. Can you please try again, and if it still fails, tell me more about your environment? Any chance you're running this in a VM on Azure IaaS?

Thank you @Yash_Shekar @Artem Pronichkin, that's good to know. I will try again.

After I have posted I tried to repro already. Failed on Hyper-V Host, but worked in a Hyper-V VM.
Only difference apart that was the VM was WS 2022.
But as said will try again on each.

Appreciate your feedback and time looking into this!

Ok, I see. Here's another suggestion. On the machine where you see this error (“Could not download AzureConnectedMachineAgent.msi”) could you please check whether you have another version of Arc Agent installed previously?

Hi @Artem Pronichkin 
unfortunately no change on the WS 2025 Hyper-V Host b26085
Arc is not / wasn't installed on this one.
Host

Karl_WesterEbbinghaus_0-1715617239222.png

Windows Server VM is not affected. Wild, isn't it?
Only that I could think that virtual switches prevent something. 

VM

Karl_WesterEbbinghaus_1-1715617445610.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus (MVP)
Solution

Hi Karl,

to be clear, the 1st bug (“The given key was not present in the dictionary”) is known and will be fixed soon. As a workaround, for now you can install the agent using PowerShell.

the 2nd bug you're mentioning (“Could not download AzureConnectedMachineAgent.msi”) is not expected and worth checking out, if you're still experiencing this issue. Can you please try again, and if it still fails, tell me more about your environment? Any chance you're running this in a VM on Azure IaaS?

View solution in original post