Windows Server 2016 Update Error 0x8007007B

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

Hyper-V virtual machine (guest) with Windows Server 2016:

After migrating VM from old domain (updates from MS servers) to new domain (updates from WSUS), I can no longer install Windows updates on this particular machine. All other VMs behave normally.


The first part of the updating process always goes well, the problem occurs after restarting the machine: "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes".


In the event viewer I see the following error:
"Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007007B: 2023-05 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB5026363)."


What I have tried so far:

1. Reset Windows update components multiple times.

2. Deactivate Windows license, try to install updates while Windows is not activated.

3. Reactivate Windows, try install updates.

4. Installed .NET 4.8.

5. Uninstalled last successful update.

6. DISM /Scanhealth /Restorehealt & SFC /Scannow

7. Trellix AV is not blocking anything, as far as I can tell.


Does anyone have an idea, what could be wrong with this machine?


Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

You could also try a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of the install media, but time may be better spent standing up a new one, patch fully, migrate roles over and move on.  



I pulled this from the CBS log. Maybe someone can find something here?


2023-06-15 11:04:11, Error CSI 0000014b@2023/6/15:09:04:11.966 (F) onecore\base\wcp\rtllib\inc\auto_hive.h(180): Error c0000033 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=51 (0x0033)] originated in function Windows::Rtl::AutoHive::Load expression: (null)
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Info CBS Could not get active session for current session file logging [HRESULT = 0x80004003 - E_POINTER]
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Info CBS Not able to add pending.xml.bad to Windows Error Report. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Error CSI 0000014c (F) c0000033 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=51 (0x0033)] #52993# from Windows::COM::CQueueExecutor::ExecutePhase(Flags = 00000000, Progress = NULL, Phase = 31, NextIndex = 696, TotalItems = 825)
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Error CSI 0000014f (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(123) #145# from Windows::COM::CComponentStore_IAdvancedInstallerAwareStore::ResolvePendingTransactions(dwFlags = (DontFailIfPrimitivesPending|IndicatePrimitiveRollback), Progress = NULL, Phase = 0, Disposition = (unknown enumerant 0)' | '0)[gle=0x8007007b]
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Error CBS Startup: Failed to process advanced operation queue, startupPhase: 0. [HRESULT = 0x8007007b - ERROR_INVALID_NAME]
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Info CBS Current global progress. Current: 56, Limit: 112, ExecuteState: CbsExecuteStateResolvePending | CbsExecuteStateFlagRollback
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Info CBS Previous global progress. Current: 56, Limit: 112, ExecuteState: CbsExecuteStateResolvePending | CbsExecuteStateFlagRollback
2023-06-15 11:04:12, Error CBS Startup: No progress detected while trying to perform rollback AIs. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]


best response confirmed by madeyem (Copper Contributor)

After further researching the CBS log I ended up looking for more information on




I used a migration tool for the domain change, which is supposed to migrate the user accounts, too. Usually it works fine, but in this case it apparently had some problems migrating user accounts.


After removing user accounts from the old domain from "C:\Users" and the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList), all updates installed properly.


For reference: