Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 03:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Unable to install Cumulative Updates in Hyper-V Server 2019 - Error 0x800f0982

Copper Contributor

Since the re-release of the Hyper-V 2019 media in June, I've been testing it for viability in our organisation and I've come across an issue I can't resolve and similarly can't find any info for at all.

I am completely unable to install any cumulative updates (Currently Oct 2019 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4524148/windows-10-update-kb4524148). When it comes to which mechanism, pick your poison, they all fail the same. WSUS, Windows Update, WUSA.exe and DISM though MSU or extracted CAB. The result is that installation of the update fails, giving error 0x800f0982.

I'm struggling to find any info online relating specifically to Hyper-V Server 2019. With Windows 10, the information available relates to Asian language packs, but that doesn't apply here. The suggested fixes of uninstalling/reinstalling said language packs also don't apply.

Any thoughts, workarounds or updates from Microsoft? I can't put this new OS into production if it's going to be left woefully out of date.

Edit: This is an issue out of box with any clean installation on any hardware I try.

1 Reply

@mikeypHow did you get Hyper-V Server 2019 to see updates at all from WSUS?  I don't see Hyper-V Server 2019 as a distinct product in WSUS running on WS2019 and anytime I run updates there are none available.