Server 2022 boot loops after Hyper-V role installation

Copper Contributor

After enabling the Hyper-V role on Windows Server 2022 on a Intel NUC6CAYH with Celeron Processor J3455 the unit goes in a bootloop (recovery). This unit previously had Windows Server 2019 installed and before that even Windows Server 2016 and both worked without issues with Hyper-V role installed

When using the en-us_windows_server_2022_x64_dvd_620d7eac.iso (RTM release) iso I am able to install Hyper-V role, but when installing any cumulative updates afterwards it goes into this boot loop as described above, only solution is to start in safe mode and the Hyper-V role installation is rolled back. (or in revovery set hypervisorlaunchtype=off)

I have found out this seem to be related/similar to be able to enable the Core isolation toggle (which is partly based on virtualization as well) on NUC6CAYH (Apollolake)

Steps i tried:

10.0.20348.169 (RTM) (Clean install)

Install Hyper-V Role Successful
Core isolation toggle Successful

10.0.20348.230 (September ISO) (Clean install)

Install Hyper-V Role Unsuccessful
Core isolation toggle Unsuccessful

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10.0.20348.169 (RTM) (Clean install)

Install Hyper-V Role Successful
Core isolation toggle Successful

10.0.20348.230 (KB5005575) (Update)

We couldn't complete the updates
Undoing changes
Don't turn off you computer

As far as i read the processor meets the minimum requirements, eg:

1,4 GHz 64-bit processor
Compatible with x64 instruction set
Supports NX and DEP
Supports CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PrefetchW
Supports Second Level Address Translation (EPT or NPT)

CoreInfo excerpt

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz
 Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel
 Microcode signature: 00000046
 VMX           *    Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
 X64           *    Supports 64-bit mode
 NX            *    Supports no-execute page protection
 CX16          *    Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
 LAHF-SAHF     *    Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
 PREFETCHW     *    Supports PREFETCHW instruction

CoreInfo -V excerpt

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz
 Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel
 Microcode signature: 00000046
 VMX           *    Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
 EPT           *    Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

Anyone can explain why this works fine on RTM, but won't work after installing any cumulative updates as that makes no sense to me?

12 Replies
No one? **bleep**....this is frustrating

Looks to be desktop hardware.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC6CAYH

while this doesn't mean it can't or won't work; it does leave the burden of testing / vetting all the components to the end user to do.

Yes, i understand it is no official certificated hardware for Server OS although the processor meets all requirements to theoretically be able to run it, Especially as you consider the fact it worked fine using Server 2022 RTM build but no longer works after installing CU's is kinda weird, don't you think? Also I had no issues with enabling Hyper-V whatsoever when using Server 2019.

Same as with the Core isolation toggle (which also depends on Hyper-V components), worked fine on RTM but after installing CU's the toggle is reverted on bootup. Driver verifier reports no incompatible drivers. 

You can try asking the hardware manufacturer if they have plans to certify for Server 2022, beyond that there's not much else you can do.

I don't think certification helps that much on it own, as it looks like a bug or something....how else you would explain everything worked as supposed to when using RTM build?

The other guy i linked to above has exactly the same problem with a Atom based processor, eg: worked fine on RTM but no longer after installing CU's

Regardless the hardware has no support for Server 2022. Your only recourse is via the hardware manufacturer.

Sorry, I am a bit confused with the answer given. I'm here to report a possible bug introduced by one or more CU's since RTM, as said all worked fine under RTM and the only thing you can say take it up with the manufacturer. That is plain wrong for multiple reason, the hardware is fine and meets the requirements, the fact it worked fine on RTM also indicates that initially there was no problem. So the only possibility it software related.

Well the hardware manufacturer's do the driver development and certifications not microsoft and they only list desktop hardware support right now on their site. It also is not found here so I think you may be out of luck.

Windows Server Catalog

Might try them over here.

Home - Intel Communities

It is the Windows OS software that is buggy., how can you explain it works OK with RTM build with same intel drivers? It ONLY stops working when installing available CU's!!!

Geez, earning MVP status on here isn't what it used to be, Is it?

Expect the unexpected when you use unsupported un-certified hardware.