Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 Features and Limitation

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

I would like to understand the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 Free Version Features and Limitation. Is it support Fail-Over Cluster and Cluster Set?

Thank you and best regards,

Natthaphol.

9 Replies

@Natthaphol Suntudkarn 

Hello Natthaphol Hyper-v is completely free. It's comes from with Windows Server licences. You can use 2 Hyper-V virtual machine with your base licence. 

And you can use for free and configure as cluster. The pricable one is System Center Virtual Machine Manager SCVMM

It's comes from with Windows Server licences. You can use 2 Hyper-V virtual machine with your base licence. 

Completely false info here. The hypervisor does not need activation but in order to run windows on hyper-v server you'll need to license and activate.

@Dave Patrick 

Hi Dave which information is false can you explain that.

Probably you are confusing about concepts. Hypervisor is a term about virtualization. We are talking about Hyper-v and cluster features.

Also you can see the page for Hyper-v licencing rights

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing

Dear @Dave Patrick 

Thank you for your tip.

As far as I understand Microsoft has a Free Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019, Do you have any link reference information on that version Microsoft doc web site? I try to but cannot find it.

Best regards,

Natthaphol.

Dear @aliortul 

As far as I understand Microsoft has a Free Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2019

Do you have any link reference Features and Limitation information on that version Microsoft doc web site? I try to but cannot find it.

Best regards,

Natthaphol.

From the TechNet evaluation center

Try Hyper-V Server 2019 on Microsoft Evaluation Center

(better to start a new thread for your questions)

Hi Natthaphol
Yes as your understand. Microsoft Hyper-v 2019 or 2016 is free you can use as Bare metal hypvervisor which called Hypvervisor1 or on Operating System called Hypervisor2.

But dont miss it Hyper-V server is not a operating system its jusy Hypvervisor and need to Windows Server.

I have already share the link again you can find below. Look at licencing sheet. Find the Hypver-V and Container part you will see.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing

Seems like there is a lot of confusion here,  windows Hyper-V Server is based on a stripped-down version of windows server 2019 or whatever the main LTS server channel is at the time. 

When you download the ISO  it will install just like windows server 2019 but will have the Hyper-V kernel running by default, but with standard and Datacenter this does not occur until the Hyper-V role is enabled on standard or Datacenter the  OS becomes what is called the root partition. SIde not Microsoft did a push to the Linux kernel for Hyper-V that would allow the root partition to be Linux instead of windows.

Other features that would normally be available in a windows server 2019 standard or datacenter will be missing such as AD, Storage Spaces Direct on Windows Hyper-V Server.  However standard storage spaces will be available as well as  Failover Clustering.  The thing with the Windows Hyper-V server is that the guest OSs are not licensed.  With the server 2019 standard you get two Guest licenses and the data center edition, grants you an unlimited number of guest licenses.    If you plan to not run a VDI solution  IE win10  or Linux on top of it the cost of licensing each VM becomes cost-prohibitive vs just obtaining a standard or Datacenter License.