Help me understand Windows Server licensing

Copper Contributor

Hello,

This was sold to costumer:

- 1 x Windows Server 2019 Standard,16CORE,Digitally Fulfilled Recovery Image
- 1 x Windows Server 2019 Standard,16CORE,FI,No Med, No CAL, Multi Language
- 1 x Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Standard,OEM, Includes 5 USER CALs, NFI, ENGLISH
- 2 x Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Standard, 5 USER CALs Only OEM, No Media, NFI
- 1 x 5-pack of Windows Server 2019/2016 User CALs (Standard or Datacenter)
- 1 x 10-pack of Windows Server 2019/2016 User CALs (Standard or Datacenter)
- 2 x 5-pack of Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services, User

Hardware I have PowerEdge R440 Server with 1 x Intel Xeon Silver 4210R 2.4G, 10C/20T, 9.6GT/s

On the server there is already preinstalled Windows Server 2019 Standard (from manufacturer preinstall) and I would like to setup hyper-v with virtual machines.

Do I get more installs if I choose to go Windows Server Core 2019 instead full GUI?

How many virtual machines I can setup while staying within licensing that was sold? Also what are the options to setup remote desktop services with this license?

I have read https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing but I still do not understand how many virtual machines I can setup.

Thank you.

4 Replies
Do I get more installs if I choose to go Windows Server Core 2019 instead full GUI?

No, its the same either way.

Some general info

- Each host needs to be licensed.
- A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor and a minimum of 16 core licenses is required for each server.
- Core licenses are sold in packs of two.
- Standard Edition provides rights for up to 2 Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed. For each additional 1 or 2 VMs, all the physical cores in the server must be licensed again.
- DataCenter Edition provides rights for unlimited Operating System Environments or Windows Servers containers with Hyper-V isolation when all physical cores in the server are licensed.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/C/E/7CED6910-C7B2-4196-8C55-208EE0B427E2/Windows_Server_20...

Hey Dave.

can you please help me. i have a server with 2x 20 core processor. which mean total number of cores are 40.

i want to run total 4 VM's on it. how many licenses should i purchase in order to get the 4 VM's?
Please start a new thread

@automatemyself 

Hello,

This answer might be a little late, but the product is still relevant, so I thought I would provide an answer.  Thank you for reaching out with your questions regarding Windows Server licensing. Let's break down your queries step by step:

1. Windows Server 2019 Standard Licensing:

• You've purchased two Windows Server 2019 Standard licenses, each covering 16 cores. Your PowerEdge R440 Server has a single Intel Xeon Silver 4210R with ten cores, so you're adequately licensed for the physical server.
    • The Windows Server 2019 Standard edition allows for 2 Operating System Environments (OSEs) or Hyper-V containers. This means you can run the host OS and two virtual machines (VMs) with a single license. Since you have two licenses, this allows for a total of 4 VMs.
  2. Windows Server Core vs. Full GUI:

• Opting for Windows Server Core 2019 doesn't grant additional installations. The distinction between Core and Full GUI is about the interface and features, not the licensing terms. Server Core has a smaller footprint and offers a reduced attack surface, but it doesn't come with a traditional GUI. You can manage it using command-line tools, PowerShell, or remote management tools.
  3. SQL Server 2019 Standard Licensing:

• You have one Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Standard license with 5 USER CALs. This allows you to run a single instance of SQL Server.
    • Additionally, you've purchased two sets of 5 USER CALs for SQL Server 2019 Standard. This means you have a total of 15 USER CALs for SQL Server, allowing 15 distinct users to access the SQL Server.
  4. Windows Server CALs:

• You've purchased a 5-pack and a 10-pack of Windows Server 2019/2016 User CALs. This gives you a total of 15 User CALs, allowing 15 distinct users to access the Windows Server.
  5. Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Licensing:

• You've purchased two 5-packs of Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services User CALs. This provides you with 10 RDS User CALs, allowing ten distinct users to access the server using Remote Desktop Services.
  6. Virtual Machines and Licensing:

• With your two Windows Server 2019 Standard licenses, you can set up a total of 4 VMs on your server. You'd need to purchase additional licenses if you need to run more VMs.
  7. Remote Desktop Services Setup:

• With the RDS CALs you've purchased, you can set up Remote Desktop Services for ten users. If you need more users to access RDS, you'd need to purchase additional RDS CALs.

For a more detailed breakdown and to explore various licensing scenarios, I recommend visiting www.directdeals.com and contacting one of our software licensing experts.  We can offer a comprehensive guide and can assist you in understanding and purchasing the right licenses for your needs.  I hope this clarifies your questions regarding Windows Server licensing. If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to ask.