Group Policy: No BitLocker Drive Encryption Network Unlock Certificate Defined

Copper Contributor

Current Domain Functional Level: Windows Server 2016

Test computer: Windows 10 20H2

I followed the guide here. I created a single GPO and linked it to the test OU. All of the following appear to be working as expected on the test computer:

• BitLocker was enabled on the OS drive
  • Startup with TPM and PIN is working
  • Recovery information is stored in AD
  • RSOP shows all GPO policies applied as expected with one exception

The following observations appear to indicate one or more problems on the test computer

• User is prompted for a PIN at boot time even when the computer is connected to the local network
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\FVE_NKP\Certificates is empty
  • RSOP shows "No BitLocker Drive Encryption Network Unlock Certificate has been defined in any group or local policy that was evaluated to produce this resultant set of policy." in Computer Settings\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Public Key Policies\BitLocker Drive Encryption Network Unlock Certificate.

Why is this setting missing while every other setting in the GPO appears to be applying correctly? I have confirmed multiple times that this setting points to a valid certificate on the WDS server (screen cap follows).

cert.PNG

1 Reply
I was able to verify through the registry and powershell that the test client did receive the certificate, so this is just a case of rsop not showing it.