Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 03:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Docker Linux Container running on Windows Server 2019

5 Replies

@James van den Berg,  really interesting article on how to get Linux containers on a Windows Server. Also the first one I found that's not telling me to get a Docker preview version from 2017. To get a Linux kernel, you recommend to get it from github.com/linuxkit/lcow/...

Do you know if it's possible to use WSL2 for that instead?

@mjfp Hello, WSL2 is integrated for Docker for Windows, but I 'm not sure if this is already supported for Docker on Windows Server. Maybe you can ask Docker support : Docker Support - Contact | Docker Support because it would be awesome if this is possible :smile:
Best Regards, James

The site needed from github  to download docker, is not available anymore. Is there another one??

@James van den Berg 

Tried the steps you noted and with some corrections it worked and I got the same docker info output then you. (Changes: in Invoke-WebRequest the closing " is changed into # value and the " in the config file haven't been correctly written)

Then I tried to run "mcr.microsoft.com/mssql/server:2019-latest" but it is directly finished with the Warning "WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (windows/amd64) and no specific platform was requested"

How can I come around this issue and get the mssql server running?

PS: It is working in Docker Desktop.